We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kiev in end of October?

Beirut, Lebanon
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Kiev in end of October?

I want to visit Kiev as solo traveler, my period will be by the end of October.

I never went there so here are some noob questions:

-How's the weather by the end of October?

-Should I learn some Russian words or people there usually understand English or French?

-I heard some Ukrainians are racists towards some kind of people and will beat them randomly, I am Lebanese Christian but I don't really look arab, I will not go to any pub or night club, will I still risk to get punched out of nowhere? (saw that in a French forum once)

6 replies to this topic
Calgary
Level Contributor
745 posts
160 reviews
1. Re: Kiev in end of October?

Weather in October is usually nice. Cool evenings. Of course it varies year to year.

I would absolutely learn some Ukrainian - basic stuff like please and thank you etc. Lots of Russian spoken in Kyiv; less so to the west like Lviv. There is some English spoken, but I was surprised at how littleoverall. Most restaurants will have someone who speaks a bit at least and many have english language menus (especially near the Maidan Square - tourist areas)>

And for the record, I never heard a single work of French in the whole year.

And Kyiv is, dare I say it, MUCH safer than Beirut.! ;) I diod hear of a couple incidents, but far fewer than reported daily in most big, especially Wester, cities. And generally directed towards the LGBTQ+ crowd or people that "looked" very different. Frankly, I would not give it a moment's thought - conduct yourself like you would in any large city. There are some great pubs and clubs so don't lock yourself up! You are more likely to get scammed by the guys dressed up as animals for the pictures or the dropped wallet scam. Seriously - Kyiv is very safe.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
803 posts
2. Re: Kiev in end of October?

You can get an idea here:

https:/…

of course, can't rely on this 100%.

Kiev, Ukraine
Destination Expert
for Kiev, Lviv, Odessa, Chernivtsi, Ivano-Frankivsk
Level Contributor
2,204 posts
25 reviews
3. Re: Kiev in end of October?

>Weather in October is usually nice. Cool evenings. Of course it varies year to year.

Cannot completely agree with you. First half of October is more or less, but weather in 2nd half of October usually is very chilly and too high probability of rain.

Schindellegi...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Kiev
Level Contributor
4,704 posts
26 reviews
4. Re: Kiev in end of October?

Late October summer is well over in Kyiv - no more hot days, trees lose or have lost leaves. Use warmer clothes for staying outside.

I have never heard of racist incidents against tourists in Kyiv - people are generally tolerant, not overly friendly, but usually helpful. The probability of encountering aggressive (most of time drunk) morons is much lower in Kyiv than most larger cities in other countries. There are also many people (visitors and residents) from other countries in Kyiv.

Regarding langues - learn to at least to decipher Cyrillic alphabet, a few basic words and sentences in ukrainian language. Most people in tourist related activities speak some english. Younger Ukrainians in Kyiv area learn english too. And use some smartphone translation application, get an application that allows downloading languages (or use some local SIM card for internet access, or wifi available at most restaurants and cafes)

For other languages: I met a few people speaking french in the streets - most of them visitors or expats. But I also met many Ukrainians fluent in french, usually in academic institutions. Hard to know who is speaking french, they will not start speaking french before they know you do too. Same for german - I met several people perfectly fluent in german, many knowing just basics, most from the time they served in former German Democratic Republic. They also used german language only once they found out that I also speak german.

Edited: 14 September 2018, 20:51
5. Re: Kiev in end of October?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2018, 11:13

6. Re: Kiev in end of October?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2018, 11:13

Reply to: Kiev in end of October?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted