We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Experiences from a recent trip to Ukraine

Which Kiev hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
paris
Level Contributor
82 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Experiences from a recent trip to Ukraine

I just came back from a 2 week visit to Ukraine.

We flew on aerosvit from JFK to kiev and Odessa and back to JFK from Kiev.In odessa we took the Viking black sea and Dniepr river 11 days tour and then we stayed in kiev for 2 days at Sunflower B&B.

Overall it was quite enjoyable and gave us a good overview of UKraine.

I was suprised about the beauty of the crimean coast(sebastapol and Yalta) and enjoyed the historic sites at Baghche-serail and Yalta.I loved the Native music that we heard in sebastapol parks ,thanks to their 200 year anniversary.

Worst experiences were with taxi drivers.I had learned some critical russian phrases ,which were very handy.But they always wanted to take advantage.

Also the experience with Aerosvit was average at best.They left and arrived on time,but the seats on the plane were very hard and some of the toilets were non functional and most were dirty.

The history of Ukraine is quite sad .They were ruled for many centuries by others,1st the Tartars ,then the mongols and Turcs and finally by the RUssians.

The whole country was destroyed in world war II and rebuilt under the soviet rule in a shoddy fashion.

An example is the bldg ,facing the Opera house in Kiev.

The country is very poor .Many of the young have left seeking opportunities elsewhere.

Many desperate young women become prostitutes to survive.I have to say that young Ukrainian women that you see in the streets are quite attractive.

I had contacted Ukrainehosptality@ukr.net,as a result of a recommendation on this site.They picked me up at odessa airport in a new model car and were pleasant and reasonable.Also our stay at sunflower B&B was very good .Large room ,clean with good AC.

Hotels are just terrible,with ridiculous high rates

I Used cash only .which was easy with ATM's ,every where (exchange rate 1$= 7.61 UAH).No local bank fee

Taxi fare from Kiev city center to airport was $20.

Miami
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Experiences from a recent trip to Ukraine

Hi!

Can you please advise on how much money i will need a day not including accomodation fees?

Level Contributor
16 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Experiences from a recent trip to Ukraine

I tried that site and could not get it .Am I missing something?

paris
Level Contributor
82 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Experiences from a recent trip to Ukraine

ITs; ukrainehospitality@ukr.net.Good luck

IN terms of per diem /persom anywhere from $25 to $100

depends on your needs and style.

4. Re: Experiences from a recent trip to Ukraine

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 December 2009, 15:03
Montesano...
Level Contributor
7 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Experiences from a recent trip to Ukraine

Hi Pierre,

My husband and I will be taking the Kiev to Odessa Viking River cruise from September 13 to September 23. We are arriving in Kiev on the 10th and would like to see the more of the city than we will see on the cruise, but we do not want to duplicate the cruise. Could you tell us what museums and churches you actually went into on the cruise tour. Also if any locations might deserve a second visit due to the fact that the cruise tour at that location is too quick. We have requested a tour of the Chernobyl museum and a tour of the Folk Architecture and Rural Life open-air museum in Pirogovo village just outside of Kiev. I am working with a company called discover-ua.com to help me plan our non-cruise part of our trip.

After we leave the cruise in Odessa we plan to head to the Western part of the Ukraine to visit Lviv, Khotyn, and Kamyanets-Podilsky before heading home.

Any information you could us about the cruise would be appreciated?

paris
Level Contributor
82 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Experiences from a recent trip to Ukraine

Viking brochure outlines places that will be visited in kiev.2 extra days on your own is plenty ,mostly to walk around the city and visit babi Yar.

The river portion of the river is OK with stops in similar type soviet style cities.What's interesting is to observe the slow rate of change,as i have been in the soviet union when it was communiste.

I think you're going to know more once you're done .

Bon Voyage

Montesano...
Level Contributor
7 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Experiences from a recent trip to Ukraine

Thank you. I had seen the info from Viking, but I wasn't sure if they added more places in Kiev.

We are familiar with the ship, since we took a St Petersburg to Moscow trip in 2006 with Intrav. So we are familiar with the size of the cabins and the unique showers.

Kyiv
Destination Expert
for Kiev, Ukraine
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
320 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Experiences from a recent trip to Ukraine

Pierre,

Thank you very much for your very informative JBR and for your further helpful inputs.

I would only like to disagree on the country being totally ruined during WWII. There are ample relics of the past all over the country with Ukraine history driving back through the centuries. There are castles, fortresses and churches here that remember (and survived) all the rulers that you’ve mentioned and many more that you haven’t.

And what a pity you should have mentioned the worst possible example in illustration to your message! Indeed, that building opposite the Opera is a monster. Built in late 60th, it’s totally unsettled in the area and disfigures the Opera House amazing ensemble. There were lots of movements to do smth about it, with no much success due to local specifics. But once you stand right in front of it, with your eyes across and along Volodymyrska Str, isn’t the view getting much more agreeable? :)

At the same time, wandering about ancient Podol or Pechersk (say, Lipki area with its rich mansions raised back in XIX), you’ll submerge in the atmosphere of Kyiv well in advance of the Soviet era.

Have to say, it was also very painful to read you mentioning the destiny of some of the young people here. Right you are, largely this is true. I just hope people won’t think that sex-tourism is what Ukraine normally stands for. Apparently no one notices how many young people started their businesses without leaving the country and how many of those attractive young girls you see on the streets not only survived but succeed here.

All in all, your observations were very keen and diversified and interesting to read. Thank you!

London, United...
Level Contributor
348 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Experiences from a recent trip to Ukraine

I'd just like to add that although the girls are on the most part extremely good looking, they are also extremely intelligent and hard-working.

Having lived and worked for a large international firm in Kiev - I can confirm that about 80% of the employees were female, all spoke perfect English and were dedicated, loyal and as it happened, very good looking!

Rather a nice place to live and work all in all, especially on sunny summer evenings in the bar at the top of the Hyatt.

Kyiv
Destination Expert
for Kiev, Ukraine
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
320 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Experiences from a recent trip to Ukraine

PiecesOf8, you’re my hero! :) Many thanks for your post!!

Wanted to say smth close to what you did, but thought it should sound indiscreet hence trustless. Thank you very much.

And do come back to live, work and relax here again!