We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

natwest mastercard

hants
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
natwest mastercard

anyone used a natwest mastercard in ukraine as ihad a few problems with in russia

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: natwest mastercard

Hi!

By Natwest you mean former National Westminster, now a part of RBS? But if it's Mastercard and if it's valid and has sufficient remaining balance (or overdraft option) and if you use it in places where cards are accepted, I can't figure any troubles related precisely to the issuing financial institution. Can I ask what those problems you encountered in Russia were?

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: natwest mastercard

FYI Although Mastercard is being accepted more, Visa is still accepted by many more vendors in Ukraine.

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: natwest mastercard

With all respect to your experience, I wouldn't say there are any such preferences in Ukraine. AmEx is indeed less commonly accepted. As for Visa and MC, I use both pretty often and have never been asked to give one instead of another, also never heard of such cases. Did it happen to you?

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: natwest mastercard

That's interesting Cora. Sorry if I wrote wrong information. I would certainly have to defer to you on this since you are Kyivan, but my experience has been different. I lost my Visa card a couple of years ago and found no one (mostly restaurants) would take my MasterCard. Although, many times when I've used my Visa they would come back to the table and tell me the machine was not working. So admittedly, I haven't used my cards for a couple of years and always stop by the atm for cash to avoid the embarassment.

But also, Cora, another reason I think this is because when I walk by businesses in Odessa, I never see the MasterCard sticker in the windows. Just the Visa sticker. This made me believe they didn't take MasterCard. But my Visa card is always my first choice anyway since it is a debit card and not a credit card. In Yalta, any credit card seems useless except for atm withdrawals.

Still, not as many people take credit cards in Ukraine as in USA or Europe and atms are wonderful sights.

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: natwest mastercard

Right you are, Dweber, Ukraine banking system is relatively young and lots of services natural to westerners as an air to breathe can appear exotic here. Indeed, it's mostly in big cities like Kyiv, Donetsk, Kharkiv, Dnipropetrovsk and the like that you'll have much more chances to benefit from cashless settlements (I say “benefit” because interbank FX-rate is more favourabe than the one on cash market). Cards are accepted in most of the hotels, restaurants (less probably in cafes, bars, fast-foods), large supermarkets, brand stores and boutiques. And here you'll hardly hear about any Visa preferences. One of the reasons is that within some 2-3 years before crisis Ukrainian banks have been battling for the higher possible issuing banks' rankings and often practiced wide-scale issuance of BOTH Visa and MasterCard, in fact, even to the very same account.

As for "embarrassment", I remember couple of years ago lots of shop girls even in Kyiv telling me fairy tales on the absence of connection with my bank, on non-functioning terminals etc and the mere reason for that was they didn't know how to deal with card transactions. Same was when my bank issued one of the first in Ukraine smart cards with electronic chip, not magetic line. So, I bet it was their problem, not yours, although I can understand how you should have felt.

As for your experience, it sounds quite naturally that businesses in small towns, like resorts along the seaside (or SMEs everywhere here), should prefer cash. With their turnover scale and the staff qualification it's probably a non-worthy headache for them to run into acquiring, especially now, when lots of banks are facing problems, while cash is always cash.

6. Re: natwest mastercard

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 November 2009, 11:38
Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: natwest mastercard

Hi wobsHants!

Many thanks for your informative update. I’m glad it worked out with your Natwest MC and I’m happy you enjoyed Kyiv! :)

Re visas, did you mean entry visas? Just confirming as this is a credit-cards-related thread and, btw, I placed it in Top Questions’ Money Section.

There sometimes are faint rumors (and loud calls) on bringing back entry visas. They emerge now and then, especially after every next scandal on foreign consulates abusing Ukrainians and every next step by the EU-members to tighten demands to visa applicants from Ukraine.

But I haven’t heard of any official decision on this matter, neither have seen any official document. The currently valid regulations (Decrees by the President) that establish visa free regimes for residents of certain states have no closing dates. I'll monitor this question for further changes and report here if any.

Should you have any other questions with this regard, can I ask you to bother and start a new post about it, to get away from CC topic? Thanks a lot!

8. Re: natwest mastercard

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 March 2010, 04:16