We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time To Kiev

Which Kiev hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Warrington, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
First Time To Kiev

Hi, I am wondering if someone could give me some pointers. I am thinking of visiting Kiev in January but I have not been before or know anyone who has been before. I would be travelling on my own and I dont really know where best to stay in terms of areas. I would like to make the most of my time by seeing the best kiev has to offer in terms of museums, attractions in the four days I would be there for. Also I am wondering how is best to travel from the airport? I have seen companies I can pre-book with on the internet but I do not know how reliable they would be.

Any help would be appreciated.

1. Re: First Time To Kiev

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 May 2010, 14:43
Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
320 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Time To Kiev

Hi Fazza and welcome to Kyiv! :)

Four days you’ve budgeted for your stay is more than enough to see the best of the city and to feel its atmosphere.

The city is quite safe for solo travelers and you can easily explore it on your own. Kyiv is amazing for walking, although in January it might be less pleasant than in spring or early autumn. But if you are dressed properly and have rational footwear, you should be fine.

There’s no problem to take a taxi or use the subway to get to the attractions that are in no walking distance. Here you can find guidance on getting around Kyiv by subway (called “metro” in Ukraine) tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294474-c124041/Kiev:…

Weather in January differs from year to year. It can both be cold and snowy, with minus temperature, or mild and open, at around zero. Don’t forget to check weather forecast before you go.

I second Yana’s suggestion about downtown area (I would add Mykhailivska and other streets adjacent to Independence Sq. and Evropejska Sq.) being the best location to stay and convenient starting point to explore the city. Podil (Old Town deemed the heart of the city) could be a nice alternative, but it’s not in a walking distance from the city center and is terribly blocked in jams, so you’ll have to use subway to get to the city center. Pechersk is a luxury quiet area and a perfect walking zone, but way too expensive and often unreasonably overpriced.

Here you can find some of the earlier discussions of the areas to stay and travelers’ reports:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294474-i3663-k311…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294474-i3663-k292…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294474-i3663-k309…

You can either book a hotel or rent an apartment. Hotels offer full service, while if you choose a reliable company, renting an apartment can be a good bargain. The list of hotels, some with travelers’ reviews, can be found here on TA tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g294474-Kiev-Hotels.h… Apartment rentals have been discussed on the forum and you can use the search tool to find those threads.

There’s a link to the thread on “Transfer from the Airport” that I posted in the upper right corner among Top Questions about Kyiv, you might care to read it to get an idea of transfer options and pricing. Even if you don’t book a transfer in advance, there’s no problem to get a taxi from the airport. Don’t forget to bargain a price – it’s easy to learn couple of words in Russian (which is spoken in Kyiv at par with Ukrainian or even more often).

Note that the first week of January is a holiday season in Ukraine – New Year on Jan 1 and Christmas on Jan 7. While all the places to eat tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g294474-Kiev.html remain open, some museums are closed. Also, ample people attend sanctuaries on Christmas, so St. Sophia, Kyiv Pechersk Lavra, St. Volodymyr, Podil churches and many other must-sees of religious nature are much more crowded than usually.

Search through the forum for more tips and let know if you need any further help.

Enjoy your stay in Kyiv!

Odessa
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First Time To Kiev

1. Where to stay in Kiev. Try hotels: Impressa Hotel, Gintama Hotel, Perlina Dnepra Hotel,

President Hotel Kievsky, Radisson SAS Hotel. Information about htese hotels should be somewhere on tripavisor. If you like to safe on money try to rent private apartment for short term stay in Kiev. This way you'll save about half of your travel budget.

2. Sights of Kiev: The Saint Vladimir Cathedral, Andreyevskiy Spusk, Askold Grave, The Independence Square, Pechersk, Podol, Kreshatik, Golden Gate, The Saint Sophia Cathedral, Kiev-Pechersk Lavra (Monastery of Caves), Babiy Yar, Children Railway, Cyril Church, House with Chimeras, Vladimirskaya Gorka, Kiev Art Galleries, Kiev Museums, Kiev Theatres, Kiev Exhibitions, Botanical Garden, Hydropark, Kiev Zoo, Park of Glory, Trukhanov Ostrov

4. Re: First Time To Kiev

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 April 2010, 05:17