We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many days to plan for Kiev

Which Kiev hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Budapest
Level Contributor
215 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
How many days to plan for Kiev

We are thinking of a visit to Kiev in July. What do you think, how many days should we plan for this town? We are not a big fan of museums, but like nice buildings and any interesting places in town.

I would really appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Dora

1. Re: How many days to plan for Kiev

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 May 2010, 14:42
Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
30 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How many days to plan for Kiev

We just were in Kyiv for three nights and could have spend at least one or two more. Great city!

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
320 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How many days to plan for Kiev

Jan, thank you very much for your kind words :) Glad you enjoyed the city!

Truly sorry Dora, I seem to have missed this question of yours. Have you already planned your trip?

If it’s not too late to comment, I’d say 3 days is the minimum term; it will at least enable you to see some of the major gems. But once you get the feel to the city, you'd wish you stayed longer. Or got back :)

You might wish to check this thread of mine for some tips on things to do in Kyiv or few walking routs involving lovely buildings tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294474-i3663-k329…

Also, there are several side-trips that you might wish to make from Kyiv - say, Chernihiv, Uman, Berdychiv, Pobugske etc. Those normally take one full day.

For tips on Chernihiv, please take a look here tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294473-i3662-k336…

Museum in Pobugske is discussed here (starting from post #3) tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294474-i3663-k355… and some pictures from it are available here tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294473-i3662-k365…

But apart from the things you like to do, the timing also depends on your overall travel itinerary (i.e. how many other cities you have on your rout) and budget.

I just hope you enjoy your trip, no matter how long it’s going to last! :)

Budapest
Level Contributor
215 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How many days to plan for Kiev

We're now in the phase to buy the tickets and make hotel reservations. We'll spend a bit more than 4 days in Kiev - I hope it will be enough to see the main sights.

Thanks for your useful tips for the side trips - I'll check those threads too.

Dora

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
976 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How many days to plan for Kiev

Dora

I had 3 nights but only 2 full days.

I squeezed in a lot but not enough.

4 and a bit days should be perfect I think if you are only on Kiev. Beautiful city and wonderful people.

DCtheKiwi

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
320 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How many days to plan for Kiev

Thanks a lot DCtheKiwi! :) Pity you made such a long journey away from home to only stay here for few days..

Hope to see you back here soon! :)

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
976 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How many days to plan for Kiev

Hi Cora (The Great Ambassador)

5 nights including Odessa Classic case of not enough time for too many places

I'll be back; Kiev and Crimea

Take care

DCtheKiwi

Edited: 27 May 2010, 11:39
Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
320 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How many days to plan for Kiev

DCtheKiwi,

Oh sure, extraordinary but not quite plenipotentiary ;) You made me blush :)

Excellent choice of destinations for a return trip! Crimea gets too overcrowded and overpriced in the high season, especially July-August; but in the low or at least “medium” season it’s an amazing place to visit!

Rest assured you’re more than welcome to ask should you need any help or information :)

Kiev, Ukraine
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: How many days to plan for Kiev

Odessa is OK, but it's not as good as Lviv or Kiev. People who really love Odessa usually haven't been to any other cities in Ukraine. It's usually my fellow Americans who see a few old buildings there and fall in love with it. Except for the Potemkin Steps, Kiev has everything that Odessa does and more of it. The same is probably true of Lviv. If you have only 4 or 5 days in Ukraine, I'd advise spending the time in Kiev and Lviv and not going to Odessa.

Odessa, Ukraine
11 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: How many days to plan for Kiev

I strongly disagree with maximisyouandme. I have been to Kiev many times both on my own and as a guide, and several times to Lvov too. Yes, Kiev is very big and old, bigger and older than Odessa, that’s for sure but it does not mean Odessa has far less to offer. Perhaps a bit less just because Kiev is huge but it is difficult to compare because there are no defined comparison criteria. As for Lvov it is equal to Odessa in my view. It is similar to saying that Rome is more interesting than Venice and one should definitely prefer it.

It’s not just the Steps. Kiev does not have the catacombs that are under the entire town in Odessa. (Pecherska Lavra cannot compete with Odessa catacombs). The salty lake of Kuyalnik which is not inferior to the Dead Sea in Israel. The Opera House which the most beautiful in Ukraine and probably in entire Europe (or at least on a par with the ones in Germany and Austria). To name just a few sights.

Edited: 15 June 2010, 21:26