We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kyiv Indicative Prices

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Topic
Kyiv Indicative Prices

Greetings to visitors to Kyiv! :)

In response to a question on another thread, this topic is to provide an idea of certain prices in Kyiv, as of June’10.

The list you will find below is INDICATIVE and provided for reference only.

Price hikes are a norm in Ukraine, so some prices mentioned below can change with time. If your trip is price-sensitive, please, feel free to request an update as close to your trip as possible.

All prices are stated in local currency – hryvnia (UAH) as it is the only legal method of payment on the territory of Ukraine for domestic settlements.

For the ease of reference, below you can find present exchange-rates for major currencies.

I will divide prices of various items into several posts for the ease of reading and update.

Can’t find what you need? Please, feel free to ask!

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kyiv Indicative Prices

EXCHANGE RATES:

(a) Official ex-rates established daily (for hard currencies) by the National Bank of Ukraine (NBU) can be found here http://bank.gov.ua/kurs/engl/last_kurs1.htm

(b) Commercial ex-rates (applicable by banks and exchange bureau working as banking agents) slightly differ from the official NBU rates, and can be different in various banking institutions and money changers’ offices.

Rates also differ on a bid/ask side, i.e. are different if you are selling fx-currency and purchasing hryvnia (the rate on the left side of the quotation pair, or the first one) and selling hryvnia and purchasing currency (the rate on its right side, or the second one).

As of today, commercial rates in my area are as follows:

UAH/USD: 7.92 – 7.95

UAH/EUR: 9.35 – 9.57

UAH/GBP: 11.20 – 11.60

To convert below hryvnia prices into a major currency equivalent, use left side of the pair.

Edited: 08 June 2010, 13:30
Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kyiv Indicative Prices

TRANSPORTATION:

- Public bus, tram, trolleybus: UAH 1.50 per passenger per ride, no matter of the distance

- Mini-buses (marshrutkas): UAH 1.50-UAH 2.70 per passenger per ride, no matter of the distance. Cost varies depending on the length of the rout of each particular mini-bus, but does not depend on the distance you make in it

- Subway (metro): UAH 1.70 per passenger per ride, no matter of the distance

- Taxi: UAH 15-25 minimum distance rate; UAH 2-2.5/km for the city ride, depending on the taxi company

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kyiv Indicative Prices

FOOD AND BEVERAGES:

- Mineral water in plastic bottles: about UAH 4-5 per 1.5 litre

- Orange juice (not freshly squeezed): UAH 6-8 per 1 litre

- Pepsi, coca-cola, fanta etc: about UAH 6 per 1 litre

- Kefir: UAH 7-8 per 1 litre

- Local horilka (vodka): from UAH 20 (av. UAH 50-80) per 1 litre

- Local beer: about UAH 6-7 per 1 litre

- Imported whiskey: from UAH 200 per bottle (av. UAH 250-400)

- Imported cigarettes: UAH 7-12 per pack

- Bread: UAH 4-7 per loaf

- Chicken eggs: UAH 9-12 per ten eggs

- Local chocolate: UAH 8-12 per bar

- Local ice-cream: UAH 4-8 per pack

- Package of assorted dry fruits: about UAH 40-70 per 500g

These are the prices from a supermarket in downtown where I shop, so they are rather average and indicative.

Prices for the same product can vary significantly for different brands as well as in different sales places (supermarkets, kiosks in downtown, restaurants etc).

So if you have something particular in mind, please ask.

More information on places to eat on budget, containing some web-sites with menu and prices is available here tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294474-s504/Kiev:Ukr… and discussed here tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294474-i3663-k318…

Edited: 08 June 2010, 13:33
Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kyiv Indicative Prices

SIGHTSEEING AND ACTIVITIES:

- Museums and attractions: about UAH 15-20 (av. price) per adult entry ticket. Guided excursions can cost extra.

Major attractions can be a bit more expensive because you pay separately for different sites on their territories.

- Opera tickets: UAH 50-200

- Philharmonic tickets: UAH 20-100

- Cinema tickets: UAH 20-70

Edited: 08 June 2010, 13:36
Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kyiv Indicative Prices

MISCELLANEOUS:

- Mobile communication: UAH 10-30 for a local SIM card and initial package, depending on the mobile operator

- Gasoline: UAH 7.95-8.25 per litre of A95/95+

- Music CDs: UAH 30-60 per CD, depending on the place you buy them

Edited: 08 June 2010, 13:39
Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kyiv Indicative Prices

Strawberries presently cost UAH 18-20 per kilo on a bazaar (market).

Mmmmm... love this season of berries! :)

new york
Level Contributor
1,718 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kyiv Indicative Prices

Well done Cora!!!

Tehran
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kyiv Indicative Prices

Dear Cora ,

May thanks for your feedback. It really helped. Now , after reading your comments and prices, I can say Kiev is a not expensive comparing to our earnings in Iran ;) so we will have no nerve issues when we spend money :)) just kiddin, I am sure we will have lots of fun in Kiev, it's obvious the people are friendly just like you.

and about whiskey and being an Iranian, I think It's better I send a personal message to you ;)

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kyiv Indicative Prices

Thanks bssd! :) Nice to see you following up the forum ;)

My pleasure, Coolboy :) Well, Kyiv indeed might look inexpensive to visit, but living here is a bit different given the average income here.

Do you guys think something essential is missing? I tried to figure out what travellers might need, but my fantasy has totally abandoned me that day :(

I deliberately left cost of ACCOMMODATION out of sight as I believe it is possible to find a place to stay here for any budget, choosing between hotels, hostels and apartment rentals.

And prices for the AIRPORT TRANSFER options are all mentioned here tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294474-c139429/Kiev:…

Cost of some CIGARS (Cubans) have been recently discussed here tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294474-i3663-k338…

Tehran
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kyiv Indicative Prices

Dear Cora ,

The Iranian Foreign office usually provides some recommendations for Iranian tourists heading to different parts of the world. I was checking for Ukraine and I faced something which I think I need your support.

In the website, they mentioned that you have to declare the money you have with you at the Kiev airport. Because if you don't declare the amount of money you have, when you want to return, if they find you have more than 1000 $ , then you will be fined or sth...

Is this right? do you have any idea?