We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware bringing Ukrainian currency back to the UK

Wokingham, United...
Level Contributor
335 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Beware bringing Ukrainian currency back to the UK

I just returned from Kiev and have discovered I am quite unable to change Ukrainian Hyrvnia back to Stering. It doesnt seem to be possible after having tried all banks post offices and Heathrows Bureau de change.

Kiev was so unexpectedly VERY cheap that I over cashed Sterling but had hoped to spend my remaining Hyrvnia (if any) at Kievs airport duty free shops at the airport . DO NOT DO THIS. The shops sell very little and its not a particular bargain anyway. There is not a bureau de change once you go through to the departure area that we could find in Boryspil so I was left with it . Sadly not until I got home did I discover that I had in effect lost all my cash as it is useless here. My cheap break turned out to be not so cheap after all so learn from my experience not to make the same mistake I did.

However If anyone knows anything that I might try to recover my lost money it would be much appreciated .

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beware bringing Ukrainian currency back to the UK

Hi foxbat! :)

Seems like you have to come back to Ukraine then! :)

Speaking seriously, I was very sorry to read this. Indeed, hryvnia being non-convertible, you can’t expect to exchange it anywhere in Western Europe and should spend or change back while still in Ukraine.

What comes to my mind straight away:

- keep it until you come back to the area: Russia, Belarus, Ukraine are the places where you can change hryvnia into the respective local currency,

-try to sell it over the web to people travelling to Ukraine (not too many chances, but still), many of them come from the UK. Perhaps even some TA members would be interested.

I’m sorry your trip should have been shadowed with this disappointment. Thank you very much for sharing your experience and reminding there are still no money changers in departures area of KBP and bulk money should be changed back BEFORE heading to the check-in and passport control.

Hope you will also find some time to do a trip report. That would be greatly appreciated.

Edited: 27 August 2010, 16:21
Wokingham, United...
Level Contributor
335 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beware bringing Ukrainian currency back to the UK

I might be visiting the Baltic states over the next couple of years (well if they re establish the direct flights between London to Tallinnn or Vilnius that is) Cora. Do you think I would have any joy there with my Hryvnia ?

BTW I'll be submitting a full report on Kiev soon

Edited: 27 August 2010, 17:25
Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beware bringing Ukrainian currency back to the UK

Give it a try, but to be honest, I doubt you succeed. This is rather fine for the neighbouring countries; our ties with the Baltic states are not that close..

Look forward to your trip report! :) Thank you for doing it.

Wokingham, United...
Level Contributor
335 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beware bringing Ukrainian currency back to the UK

Is Turkey or Romania an option would they accept my Hyrvnia given thier geographic proximity do you think ?

Thanx

Edited: 27 August 2010, 17:51
Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beware bringing Ukrainian currency back to the UK

Sorry, but these two don't sound possible either. However I never tried it in any of these countries.

Sent you a PM.

Edited: 27 August 2010, 17:55
6. Re: Beware bringing Ukrainian currency back to the UK

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 28 August 2010, 14:35
Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beware bringing Ukrainian currency back to the UK

Hi foxbat,

I thought you might find it interesting.

EleanorC, who is just back from Kyiv, mentioned in her trip report that HSBC sells hryvnia. Take a look here tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294474-i3663-k389…

Did you try them? Who knows, they might be buying as well.

Wokingham, United...
Level Contributor
335 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beware bringing Ukrainian currency back to the UK

No joy I'm afraid.

You have to be an HSBC customer and have bought your Hryvnia from them sadly

Thanks anyway Cora

Glasgow, United...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Beware bringing Ukrainian currency back to the UK

Hi

I had a similar problem however there is currency exchange in Gatwick airport that exchanges the currency and one in terminal 1 of heathrow (surprisingly)

Cheltenham, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beware bringing Ukrainian currency back to the UK

I know about this, having had some left over cash from Lviv for ages.

The newer notes can now be exchanged at Thomas Exchange Global In London (google them) Or you can sell them to me, I hope to return to Kiev soon !