We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kiev to Nizhyn

Which Kiev hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
295 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Kiev to Nizhyn

I have been looking through this forum trying to find something about the old town Nizhyn, ab 150klm from Kiev, but no luck.

I'll be visiting Kiev next spring and I'll be taking a day's trip to Chernihiv. Is it possible to see Nizhyn from there and maybe return to Kiev from Nizhyn? Or they will have to be 2 separate trips? There are a couple Greek churches I'd like to visit. Thank you

Kyiv
Destination Expert
for Kiev, Ukraine
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
320 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kiev to Nizhyn

Hi BB!

Welcome to Kyiv forum :)

Indeed, we have not yet discussed Nizhyn here, so I’m really happy to read this question of yours!

What exactly are you interested in about Nizhyn? I’ve been there several times, really love this small city and can tell you a lot :) But some friends I once took there found themselves «overchurched» by the end of the day, as the places to see there are mainly (but not exclusively) represented by sanctuaries.

Considering that both Chernihiv and Nizhyn have quite a lot to see there, and are mostly all about churches, and even share something in common in their spirits, I would not recommend visiting them on the same day; both are worthy a full day, in my opinion.

On the other hand, if you only plan to see few particular sites in each city, and are ready to skip the rest they have to offer, and if you wouldn’t mind a hectic trip in rush, and if you have a guide to get you right were you need, see it and move on, then you can give a try to combining both. Is it reasonable (and pleasant)? I don’t know; depends on your travel style - some people only want to tick in the list and see nothing but the best. The other prefer getting a feel to the place they visit and take their time.

What transport are you planning to use? Private transfer? Public transport?

For the latter, you should better speak some Russian/Ukrainian, or have a local with you; English will most probably be of no use there.

There are mini-buses (marshrutka’s) from Kyiv to Chernihiv (about 140km one-way), also from Chernihiv to Nizhyn (about 100km one-way). And an electric train (electrichka) goes from Chernihiv to Nizhyn then further from Nizhyn to Kyiv. Electric trains run by schedule, so you must be on time to catch them. They have many stops on the rout, so move relatively slow.

If you consider to take a public transport, the one-day trip sounds even less feasible and reasonable to me.

Please, feel free to ask more, if you have any further questions! :)

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
295 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kiev to Nizhyn

Hi Cora,

You've been such help to everyone here. I've red most of your posts and I red how it is possible to do Chervihiv by mini bus. I don't know where I'll be staying yet, so when I do I'll get back to you for more specifics. The reason I'm thinking of Nizhyn is because of the Greek churches there, and the Greek bebefactors who lived and are now burried there. I'll stay in Kiev 4 full days and I can only spend one day outside the city. If it were you, which town would you chose to visit? which would be easier? I do understand it's all about churches but which is more picturesque? Are the mini buses that go to these towns frequent? By the way, I will be travelling by local bus and I don't speak the language. Or maybe there is a tour company that does this trip for the day? I appreciate your help.

Kyiv
Destination Expert
for Kiev, Ukraine
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
320 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kiev to Nizhyn

Many thanks for your king words BB :)

Completely agree, with 4 days all in, only 1 day side trip sounds reasonable. And yes, many travel companies offer a day trip to Chernihiv from Kyiv, and I see no reason why they couldn't do it for Nizhyn (it's only a matter of price then they are going to ask).

It is really hard for me to responsibly advise one city over another in your case.

If a tourist merely interested in a side trip anywhere from Kyiv asked me the same question, I'd say "go to Chernihiv". It's easier to get to - a direct mini-bus from Lisova subway station runs there very often and is easy to locate. I'm not aware of marshrutka's to Nizhyn and their frequency (there might be some, once there's a bus), but a bus from Darnytsya bus station leaves about 2-3 times a day. More commonly, an electric train is used to get to Nizhyn than a bus, and there are lots of them during the day (nearly every 30min in the morning). But with no knowledge of the language it entails slightly more hassle to buy a ticket at the suburban railway station then find the right platform. Also, I'd only recommend to take an electric train on the week-days as they are overcrowded on week-ends.

Next, a mini-bus to Chernihiv arrives exactly at one of the areas where must-sees are located (near Dytynets). In Nizhyn you'll have to get from the railway station to downtown first; though it's not too complicated - there's a mini-bus to the city centre. On the other hand, most of Nizhyn must-sees are concentrated in the University area and in downtown, which is very, very busy with them! City centre is famous for as much as 12 churches only, let alone some secular sites. In Chernihiv they are scattered through at least three major spots.

A question, which town is more picturesque, is too subjective, as you understand :) But I'm really tempted to again say Chernihiv (although Nizhyn does have its own charm). I'm a "water person", and the area of Desna River in Chernihiv looked more beautiful and interesting to me than the one of Oster River in Nizhyn, which is narrow and a bit boring within the city line. I'm also a "panorama seeker", and Chernihiv with its hills and bell towers offers ample beautiful panoramic opportunities.

So if it were me, I'd probably opted for Chernihiv, though I was utterly impressed by few unique places in Nizhyn (post station, for example). But you have a particular interest to visit Nizhyn, and it might overweight all the reasonings I have to offer.

You are totally right, Greek community played a very important role in the city's past, and there are many Greek memorable places preserved: several churches; magistrate; (Michael Ligda's) pharmacy, presently a museum; shopping arcade, and some other.

My major concern here would be the language barrier. Unfortunately, you won't go too far with English only: public transport box-offices and drivers, street names and signs, people speaking - expect it in Ukrainian/Russian only.

Please, let know if I can be of any further help!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
295 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kiev to Nizhyn

Goodness, Cora, all this information and details... You are amazing!

Thank you so much, you gave me all I need for now. I have plenty of time to do my research and make up my mind. I may get back to you later.

Stay safe, Barbara

Kyiv
Destination Expert
for Kiev, Ukraine
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
320 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kiev to Nizhyn

My pleasure, Barbara! Please do – I’d be delighted to share more :)

6. Re: Kiev to Nizhyn

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 April 2011, 05:16