We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Private accommodation in Ukraine

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
7,919 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Private accommodation in Ukraine

I've read that one can find accommodation with private citizens in the railway station. This interests me as I always find this kind of option more interesting than hotels - it gives you a glimpse of real life.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience of how this works for someone ignorant of Ukrainian and Russia, like me.

Lviv, Ukraine
Level Contributor
591 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Private accommodation in Ukraine

Well - normally it works like - if you stay 10-20 mins - close to railway station entrance - ladies (normally - elder) - approaching to you - and proposing "komnata\kvartira" ("room\apartment") themselves - or carrying such hand-written signs, - probably - closer to evening \ late night \ night. Seen them several years ago yet - in Kyiv (in area between train station and metro entrance) - and Odesa (between train station and taxi parking). Never seen them in Lviv though.

Quite more common such way of finding accomodation is during summer season - at sea towns (including Odesa) - lot of locals are proposing rooms/etc at bus/train stations.

Of course - basic knowledge of Ukrainian/Russian would be helpful to bargain, probably - as foreigner - you may be tending to get overcharged a bit.

Other option - if you want to have a glimpse at really real life - would be staying at private house\farm in Carpathian village - may recommned you some - where stayed myself.

Edited: 13 February 2011, 19:18
Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,919 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Private accommodation in Ukraine

Thanks, but I won't be heading for the Carpathians this May trip. My route is Kyiv-Odesa-Crimea, though I may make some changes.

Lviv, Ukraine
Level Contributor
591 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Private accommodation in Ukraine

Yes - I believe - May would be already beginning of tourist season at the sea - so it'd be quite easy finding private accommodation in Odesa\Crimea - and prices would be significantly lower than during high season (July-August). Other story - that in Crimea - they are normally rather unwilling to give rooms for short periods (like 1-2 days) - deals start from 4-5 days option, but again - everything is question of negotiating and bargaining.

Edited: 13 February 2011, 20:03
Odessa, Ukraine
Level Contributor
374 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Private accommodation in Ukraine

Be sure Babuski(old ladies) will try to catch you on your way from carriage to bus station(refering to Simferopol) or to the exit from railway station building(in Odessa). Some of the suggest falts while others just a room. Nowadays that will be(most likely) not owners but maklers who send clients to flat owners for some interest.

Kiev, Ukraine
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Private accommodation in Ukraine

I would not advice you this kind of accomodation. You will get couch-surfing for a valuable sum of money. Better book daily apartments in advance.

6. Re: Private accommodation in Ukraine

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 23 February 2011, 20:05
Kiev
Level Contributor
17 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Private accommodation in Ukraine

The ways to approach old ladies have been fully described to you. Indeed it is more easy to do in Odesa and Crimea. But be aware of the quality of such apartments if talking about Kiev. Some of them can be not so good. Prices range from EUR 20 to 30 and location is usuaaly around train station.

For this price you can find super nice hostels in the very center of Kiev. Check them on hostelworld.com

Also join us for free walks while staying in Kiev and we give you the chance to feel real Kiev character

http://freetours.kiev.ua

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Private accommodation in Ukraine

Hi John! Great to see you on Ukraine forum! :)

Sorry, I was away when you posted your request, but I’m happy to see that my fellows have already described you the situation.

Fully subscribe to what’s been said. While it’s a norm for Crimea and Odessa, especially in the high season, so you will most probably be fine there, do not challenge yourself to dealing with «train station babushkas» in Kyiv.

Ever since the hotel was open at the Central Railway Station in Kyiv, there are not too many «legit/honest babushkas» (which are actually not old ladies or apartment owners, but rather mid aged ladies - «agents») seeking customers at the railway station. Places they offer are very basic, good for an overnight stay at best. Chances are you’ll be safe there, but in case something goes wrong, your «language ignorance» makes you too vulnerable. Don’t bother! Rent a simple apartment in Kyiv (no Jacuzzi, no frills) and you will get that glimpse of real life, too :)

Have a great trip!

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,919 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Private accommodation in Ukraine

Thanks, Cora and all other respondents.

10. Re: Private accommodation in Ukraine

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 25 February 2011, 12:05