We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Ukraine money

Im visiting Kiev in a few weeks time and im finding it impossible to find a bank that will change my sterling to the ukrainian currency ! I dont really want to enter the country without any of there currency so does anyone know where i can change my money up ?

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ukraine money

Hi Bob and welcome to Ukraine forum :)

It has been discussed here on the forum before that it is not really worth the trouble of getting any hryvnya in the UK. At the very least you will overpay for the ridiculous ex-rate.

You can easily either withdraw some hryvnya from the KBP airport ATMs upon arrival, or exchange some cash pounds in a banking office in the Terminal. You are anyway not going to need any local currency before you leave the arrivals hall, where you will find all these facilities.

You might also be interested to read the following earlier thread:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294474-i3663-k388…

If you still want to get hryvnya no matter what, there was an earlier trip report about some HSBC operations; check out if they still sell UAH.

Have a nice trip!

St Petersburg Russia
Destination Expert
for St. Petersburg
Level Contributor
2,705 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ukraine money

Exchange banks are everywhere and rates are competitiveness with each other, whereas your bank will settle at the worst rate of the day.

I just returned late last night from 3.5 weeks in Ukraine and found the dollar<>hryvnya pretty stable.

We did have a problem for several days when none of the regular banks would exchange money for foreigners, only those with Ukrainian passports. It turned out that the form needed for customs was out of supply so they could only handle exchanges for locals who do not get the form. We did not care about customs since we expected to use all the money plus some during our travels in the country. We brought back only about 100 hryvnya in small notes, as mementos.

The rates versus US dollar varied from 8.00:1 up to 8.07:1 and as we left, it was back down to 8.01 on average.

We live in St Petersburg Russia so always notice rates posted outside exchange offices where ever we go.

London, United...
Level Contributor
99 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ukraine money

Don't buy more than an emergency taxi or bus/train fare's worth of UAH in the UK; in case the ATMs at the airport where you land don't work. The few bureaus that do stock it give you catastrophically bad rates. The exchange at Luton airport gave 10 UAH to the pound plus a 2 pound fee!

Exchanges in Kiev all seemed quite reasonable.

Of course you ought to read the article below and, if you still have time, get yourself a credit card that gives you a perfect exchange rate and doesn't charge you for use abroad.

moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-mo…

Edited: 24 October 2011, 20:04
Greater London...
Level Contributor
163 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ukraine money

See my post here also, about Gatwick: tripadvisor.co.uk/…35657909

Nanning, China
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Ukraine money

Glad I spotted this thread. Thanks for the info guys.

I wasn't planning on getting foreign exchange anyway until I got to Kiev airport, but Cora's link to the now closed thread about taking Ukraine currency back to your own country is definitely something important to consider. I had similar problem before with HK dollars that I couldn't exchange in Portugal, eventually managed to exchange them in Madrid.

Are the money changers open 24 hours at Borispol Kiev airport?

Also I think I read on one of the threads here that the taxis accept major currencies (no doubt at extra cost). I must see if I can find where I read that to make sure i wasn't imagining it.

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ukraine money

Hi again Baz,

There are few money changers that *can* be opened at your early arrival hour. Sadly, no one can guarantee it to you (the lady might want to go out for smoking precisely when you find her money changing desk).

If you don't find the open one, you can use ATM to withdraw cash. Do NOT forget to let your issuing bank know you are planning to use your credit card in Ukraine, to avoid potential blocking of your transactions out of fraud suspicions.

And, indeed, local taxi drivers will be more than happy to accept foreign currency (it is anyway still rare in Ukraine to find a cab that gives receipts or other payment confirmation), even though it's illegal in Ukraine to pay in other than hryvnya for domestically produced goods/services.

Kiev, Ukraine
10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Ukraine money

USD are always welcome in Ukraine. Not in shops, or subway, of course - but in taxi at least

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ukraine money

...for a terribly overcharged rate.

Using local currency is the best way to go.

Kiev, Ukraine
10 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Ukraine money

can't see a problem: $10 or 75-85 UAH. Just specify the currency before you sit there.

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ukraine money

Could you please be more responsible in your replies.

The NBU specifically mentions that hryvnya is the currency to be used in Ukraine. You don't try to pay in hryvnya when in the US, do you? Why should you encourage foreigners to do it then?