We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ukraine money

Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Ukraine money

Im visiting Kiev in a few weeks time and im finding it impossible to find a bank that will change my sterling to the ukrainian currency ! I dont really want to enter the country without any of there currency so does anyone know where i can change my money up ?

Kiev, Ukraine
10 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Ukraine money

Dear Cora_v,

may I ask you a question, please? Are you Ukrainian, or maybe anywhere from CIS, no?

Lviv, Ukraine
Level Contributor
186 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Ukraine money

Serge P - Cora_v in my opinion the best solution is for foreigners, order a taxi with the payment terminal.

Cora_v - including taxi necessarily be taksometer with the printer, as well as the payment terminal can receive an additional check. I agree with you that these legal taxi is very little. Changes in tax legislation forced to stop activities of most legitimate taxi driver. Today 90% of drivers are like gypsies.

Roman

13. Re: Ukraine money

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 02 December 2011, 11:35
Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Ukraine money

Archikyiv,

Please restrain from calling names and providing pseudo-interpretations of what has not been said or implied by other posters.

By the way, new currency exchange rules had been discussed here tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294473-i3662-k482… and here tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g295368-i5302-k487…

Edited: 02 December 2011, 09:04
Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,085 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Ukraine money

I will be fascinated to see what the situation will be like in Donetsk and Kiev when all the English football fans descend brandishing their pounds, if they are let in of course :) I can tell you now that any rules will go out of the window and there will be massive local inflation for a while - your average football fan hasn't a clue. The same thing happened in Prague with the advent of the stag parties, so watch this space ...

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Ukraine money

Hi GCEK :)

Yet it doesn't stop you from promoting usage of local currency whenever travelling to destinations outside the USD/EUR/GBP-zones, does it? ;)

Welcome to Ukraine forum :)

Edited: 02 December 2011, 19:51
Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
29,085 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Ukraine money

Thanks! Just thought I would pop in ...

As the Czech Republic is not in the Eurozone I always say on the Czech forum use Euros as you would in London/New York/wherever :) My advice is to always use the local currency and preferably learn a bit of the lingo or at least a few pleasantries.

As I said, your average English football supporter will believe that it is acceptable to pay in pounds - also the UK banks/exchange bureaux will already be stocking up on hrivna in order to sell on at a punitive exchange rate to unsuspecting punters - I can see them rubbing their hands in glee now, as are the Donetsk drinking holes :)

18. Re: Ukraine money

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 09 March 2012, 18:35
USA-Virginia
Level Contributor
301 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Ukraine money

Looks like post before mine was removed for some reason.

During my travel around the world I noticed that it is very smart to pay in local currency, even if it looks like prices similar but its not. You end up paying everytime more and during trip it can be hundreds dollars. Plus it is usually not a good idea to change in your home country or even in airports when you arrive. I am still debating what is better option ATMs or just simple cash exchange due to all ATM fees their hit you.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
29,085 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Ukraine money

... especially in airports - possibly the worst place of all.

In the grand scheme of things the ATM is the easiest and best, even taking into account any fees that may be charged. Sure you can traipse around town looking for the best 'deal' (which you usually get when changing larger amounts), but time is money ...