We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ukraine money

Which Kiev hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Ukraine money

Im visiting Kiev in a few weeks time and im finding it impossible to find a bank that will change my sterling to the ukrainian currency ! I dont really want to enter the country without any of there currency so does anyone know where i can change my money up ?

USA-Virginia
Level Contributor
293 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Ukraine money

Usually the best exchange inside big banks. By the way. I was in Prague a while ago and love town. One day will be back for more.))

Kyiv
Destination Expert
for Kiev, Ukraine
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Ukraine money

Surprisingly, the exchange rates at *some* bank offices in Boryspil airport offer nearly the same rate as in downtown Kyiv. Not sure if this is still going to be the case during Euro-2012 though.

Also, the better rate is most often offered not by the banks, but by their agents - money changing bureaus, scattered around the city and recognisable by ОБМIН ВАЛЮТ sign and/or a display board (most often yellow-coloured) with exchange rates.

Those travelling on a tight budget might shop around for a better deal, but I agree with GCEK that it is only worthy if changing huge amount of money (which is anyway hardly reasonable in Kyiv, where card payments are accepted).

As for what's better cash or ATM, I don't think there's a single answer to that.

With cash, you have limits on import. And the risk of it being stolen (no one likes to carry around much cash these days unless really needed). And you exchange at the Ukraine commercial rate. But at no fee.

With withdrawals, you have a risk of the credit card being "eaten" or not recognised by an ATM. But you "exchange" at the int'l interbank rate. But for a fee from your issuing bank. And since recently, many local banks have started to raise fee for cash withdrawals, too.

I think a combination of the two is the best solution ;)

Edited: 12 March 2012, 17:33
23. Re: Ukraine money

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 13 March 2012, 20:35
24. Re: Ukraine money

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 13 March 2012, 20:05
BLACKPOOL
Level Contributor
224 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Ukraine money

I am visiting the Ukraine at the moment & have found it difficult outside of Kiev to exchange the £ . In Lviv & Kharkiv everywhere wants to exchange dollars, euros or rubels. If i'd have known I would have changed my pounds into euros before travelling here.

Kyiv
Destination Expert
for Kiev, Ukraine
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Ukraine money

Hi HORNBYVILLA,

Welcome to Ukraine forum and many thanks for the warning.

Though that sounds weird unless you try to exchange coins or some specific pounds (say, Scotland's).

Have you tried the large banks? I don't think Privat or Ukreximbank would have refused to take British pounds. Let know if you need the addresses.

Edited: 13 March 2012, 20:05
BLACKPOOL
Level Contributor
224 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Ukraine money

No didn't try the big banks just the places where they were advertising with the rates on boards outside shops etc... Exchanged most when I got the chance in Lviv although the rate was poorer than back in Kiev.. 1250 to the £ against 1265 received in Kiev..although with these low prices I think I've changed too much at once.

Kyiv
Destination Expert
for Kiev, Ukraine
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Ukraine money

Right, these are the money changing bureaus - they typically work with a limited "circle" of currencies, normally the most demanded that you have named (they get profit from the difference on sale and purchase).

On a separate note, unless you plan to return to Ukraine, make sure to either spend all your hryvnia, or change it back to hard currency - there were warnings from the other travellers that hryvnia is nearly impossible to sell (i.e. change back to pounds) in the UK.

Suffolk, United...
Level Contributor
949 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Ukraine money

Not wishing to hijack, but is it easy to exchange £ sterling in Kiev or would it better to take Euro?

Kyiv
Destination Expert
for Kiev, Ukraine
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Ukraine money

Hi EastofEngland :)

No hijacking at all as long as we talk money ;)

There’s no problem to exchange British pounds in Kyiv. We have had lots of British travelers sharing their feedback here on the forum but none ever mentioned any problem with exchange of pounds.

And again, as a rule of thumb, if you have any problem with a money changing bureau (they don’t work with “your” currency, or refuse to take your old or damaged note), just go to a bank.

I’m 99.9999% sure that any large bank in Lviv and Kharkiv would have exchanged British pounds no problem, too.