We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking to visit Kiev, Ukraine

New York
Level Contributor
95 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Looking to visit Kiev, Ukraine

I'm looking at a three days visit to Ukraine sometime in January (tentative). I've heard and read a lot of its war history, which I am curious to learn more about visiting the country and also do sightseeing.

Is Ukraine safe to visit, and is foreigner or tourist-friendly country? I plan to visit Kiev, but if there are other places I should be looking at, I'd be happy to get your feedback on.

Thanks

CHERNOBYL TOUR
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Walking Tours, Eco Tours, Air Tours
UkraineToGo - Friend & Guide
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours
Kyiv
Level Contributor
303 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking to visit Kiev, Ukraine

Dear MoviePrince, welcome to Ukraine forum!

All your questions were asked here numerous times.

Please pay attention to the right upper corner on Ukraine forum section - there you will see the topic UKRAINE - HOW SAFE.

Next, pay attention to the right upper corner of this, Kyiv, section.

You may be interested in FAQ: Sightseeing Around Kyiv, and also FAQ: Things to See in Kyiv: ITINERARY

I suppose you mean the World War II history?

Ukraine have hundreds of places connected with war history as it was a stage of hostility for 3 years. But Ukraine is a big country and you won't be able to visit other places if you come to Kyiv for three days.

There are, however, some places not far from Kyiv (apx. 2 hours by car one way) connected with the Battle for Kyiv in 1943. If you are interested, I can give you more detailed info on this.

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,592 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking to visit Kiev, Ukraine

I agree with mary, have a read of the very well put together top questions at the side of this forum. That will give you a good feel for the place, and then come back and ask anything more specific you need to know then.

New York
Level Contributor
95 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking to visit Kiev, Ukraine

got it..found it. thanks to you both.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
38,649 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking to visit Kiev, Ukraine

Kiev is one of the safest cities in Europe, January not perhaps the best time to visit, but do come anyway.

New York
Level Contributor
95 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking to visit Kiev, Ukraine

i just saw some more info, and discovered that you need a separate visa to visit Ukraine...it's the case for US Citizens at least. That stinks...I'll have to hold off on this till later part of 2012.

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,592 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking to visit Kiev, Ukraine

That's a shame, but gives you lots of time to read up and plan your trip properly

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
38,649 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking to visit Kiev, Ukraine

For a tourist visa, the easiest way is to contact a reputable local tour company/travel agency. Many of them provide visa support, and you will be able to discuss its terms with them directly. If I’m correct in reading the embassy requirements, you will have to EITHER submit tour details from a tour company, or a hotel booking conformation.

Visa support from a (non-related) individual (a private visa) will probably be too much of a headache to bother.

New York
Level Contributor
95 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking to visit Kiev, Ukraine

I agree with both of you. It shouldn't be too difficult to obtain a visa from local tour company or something to that effect. I will have to try this out., and I am also going to take the time to research more.

I figured January would be a little too soon and probably not the best time to visit...This will give me time to plan my Ukraine trip properly. I can't wait. I'll continue to check this forum for more information. I appreciate your feedback.

Kyiv
Level Contributor
303 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking to visit Kiev, Ukraine

I don't know where you read US citizens require visa to enter Ukraine... Actually, they are not since 2004.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
57 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking to visit Kiev, Ukraine

If you plan to stay in Ukraine for less than 90 days - you don't need a visa. Here is a link to us government page on this issue:

…state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1053.html