We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Local food souvenirs?

Winnipeg Canada
Destination Expert
for Winnipeg
Level Contributor
4,559 posts
453 reviews
Save Topic
Local food souvenirs?

What would be the name of some local food souvenirs? For last minute gift for the people back home. If you were to come to Winnipeg, the local chocolate shop is Mordens.

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Local food souvenirs?

Our chocolate is very good, too. So even if you didn’t mention your chocolate shops it would probably be the first thing I’d recommended, anyway. Better stick to Roshen products – their chocolate, candies and sweets taste the best for my liking.

Depending on when and where you visit, natural honey can be a good idea. But better don’t buy it in supermarkets. There are some fairs (including specialized) held in August – September throughout Kyiv; especially many of them during the so-called Honey Spas in August.

If you have some extravagant friends, “salo in the chocolate” might make a good surprise. But it’s better to buy it from the restaurants that specialize in this unusual dessert – and probably better in Lviv or Ternopil (if you happen to visit any of these) rather than in Kyiv.

Not only food, but our local drinks make good gift – vodka, home-made liquors (nastoyanka and nalyvka). Then you could consider taking some pickles as well – Ukrainian ones (salted, marinated) are really good.

Funny enough, some friends of mine studying/working abroad often ask me to bring them from Ukraine some black bread and.. sunflower seeds that are very popular in Ukraine. Also halva made from the sunflower seeds.

I’m not mentioning meat products (salo, black pudding and the like) or dairy as I expect you to have difficulties carrying it through the border.

That said, whatever you choose to take with you, make sure to check your customs requirements to the food imported back to Canada, just in case.

Edited: 15 April 2013, 12:31
Winnipeg Canada
Destination Expert
for Winnipeg
Level Contributor
4,559 posts
453 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Local food souvenirs?

Halva would be a great souvenir for the people back home.

Winnipeg Canada
Destination Expert
for Winnipeg
Level Contributor
4,559 posts
453 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Local food souvenirs?

That is thye Ukraine word for Halva? What about dried mushrooms?

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Local food souvenirs?

Halva it is – “халва”. Better don't buy the packed one. Many sweet shops, including on all main bazaars, sell it by weight and allow trying before buying. You can make sure you buy fresh one this way.

Dry mushrooms can be found here no problem – be that in supermarkets (but many chances these will be imported from Poland) or in bazaars. Do not buy from “street markets” though – no radiation control there.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
127 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Local food souvenirs?

If you want novelty gifts, look for small bags of potato chips with flavours such as crab.

Winnipeg Canada
Destination Expert
for Winnipeg
Level Contributor
4,559 posts
453 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Local food souvenirs?

thanks small of chips would fit in my suitcase. Would the favours writting be in Ukraine? Then what is potato chip in Ukraine? Here we like Ketcup chips.

Winnipeg Canada
Destination Expert
for Winnipeg
Level Contributor
4,559 posts
453 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Local food souvenirs?

That is a small bag of chips ...

Ottawa
Level Contributor
127 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Local food souvenirs?

The brand of the chips is Lay's so they will be recognizable. They also had pictures of the flavours on the bags. I brought a few small bags back to Canada for fun.

I agree that Roshen chocolate is yummy. it is sold everywhere and I think that the label has English writing. A few years ago, we discovered some relatives who live near the Roshen estate. Judging by the size of his compound, he must sell a lot of chocolate...

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Local food souvenirs?

Chocolate is trifle in his empire: http://tinyurl.com/bub4c47

Winnipeg Canada
Destination Expert
for Winnipeg
Level Contributor
4,559 posts
453 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Local food souvenirs?

Chocolates are that I will bring back to Canada.