We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

gluten, dairy and egg-free diet in Kiev

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Topic
gluten, dairy and egg-free diet in Kiev

Hi!

I am going to visit Kiev for 5 days. I am wondering if it is possible to buy specialized dietary food (eg gluten free bread, soy milk etc) there. Do you have any suggestions, where to buy dietary food, what to try (typical for Ukraine) and what restaurants would cook suitable meals? I will be staying in a hostel with a kitchen so Ishould be able to do some basic cooking as well.

Thank you!

Petra

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,672 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: gluten, dairy and egg-free diet in Kiev

Hello Petra and welcome to Kyiv forum :)

Most of the large supermarkets in Kyiv have dietary sections these days - some richer in assortment than the others. So yes, it’s possible to buy dietary food here. Just ask your hostel where the nearest large supermarket is (Ashan, Silpo, Megamarket, or the like).

Typical Ukraine food hardly meets the dietary standard, so I’m not sure if I should waste time naming it. You may, however, want to look through these earlier threads and articles, if you wish:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294474-i3663-k318… (posts ##3 and 5)

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294473-c109753/Ukrai…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294473-i3662-k468…

Perhaps also this one with vegetarian food discussion: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294474-i3663-k381…

As for the restaurants, the situation is harder - there are no restaurants I’m aware of that are serving exclusively dietary food (and this would hardly be economically reasonable). But if you stick to some of those known for «healthy cuisine» (Mediterranean, for instance), chances are you can get out of their menu something that you would be able to eat.

Have a good time in Kyiv!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
378 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: gluten, dairy and egg-free diet in Kiev

Hey Petra,

Not sure If conveying the facts about your dietary requirements are the issues? ( I don’t have the site link as yet, and not sure if this will help)

But my mum is serve Coeliac (Total Gluten free) and can’t tolerate any amount of flour.

She’s travelled a fair bit and found a web site that you can print out in ‘most languages’ a little info card/bit of paper that you can carry with that you can hand to/show waiters/waitresses at restaurants, at supermarkets/shops. She’d found it helpful in the past.

I’ll have to ask her the sites name, so ………… I’ll report back with this info….

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
378 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: gluten, dairy and egg-free diet in Kiev

As said, not sure if it will help while your there now, or you may have already gone, but here it is -

glutenfreepassport.com/allergy-gluten-free-s…

Has a look through the site myself and it's got some good info....

Good luck

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
3,365 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: gluten, dairy and egg-free diet in Kiev

I think the organic restaurant Kult Ra has gluten-free foods.

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
3,365 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: gluten, dairy and egg-free diet in Kiev

I think the organic restaurant Kult Ra has gluten-free foods.

6. Re: gluten, dairy and egg-free diet in Kiev

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2014, 05:22