We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kiev protests

Which Kiev hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Kiev protests

We are planning a trip to Kiev in April. The media here in the UK are making Kiev look like a war zone. I am sure this is our typical media exaggeration, but I'd like to know from anyone in Kiev what it is like there now? Are things getting worse? How safe is it? We are planning to stay near Kiev central station for ease of travel. I'm quite happy that things will have settled down by April, but my wife is nervous about booking flights etc. What are your feeling? Thanks!

Kyiv
Destination Expert
for Kiev, Ukraine
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
191. Re: Kiev protests

I'd also like to invite attention of those who might follow this thread only to the feedback left by current and recent travellers' to Kyiv in another thread, here:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294474-i3663-k725… (posts ##6, 8)

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
8 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
192. Re: Kiev protests

hotels??? VERYYYYYY expensive just get an apartment... much cheaper and better IMHO.. I NEVER use hotel... in ukraine that is.... if u need some websites just ask me... if you speak Russian there is a Russian variant of the exact same website BUT you will have to pay cash instead of on the english website you can charge with credit card... good luck! ps I will be in Kiev in the next few days..am in odessa now

Kyiv
Destination Expert
for Kiev, Ukraine
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
193. Re: Kiev protests

National Arts Museum has reopened yesterday, March 16:

namu.kiev.ua/en/press-centre/news/view.html…

This means that as of now all of the sights are functioning regularly in Kyiv.

New York City
Level Contributor
41 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
194. Re: Kiev protests

Hi Borus and Cora,

I was in Kiev last September -- and stayed just steps from Independence Square. So incredible to see pictures of what the square looked like, and was in contact with some friends there, who stayed out there to express solidarity -- with his children -- New Year's Eve. I'm delighted to hear that you opted to go now, Cora -- and I'll bet you have most of the tourist sites to yourself! Borus, I'll be in Istanbul for a week (solo), and I'll be curious to hear people's reactions to the election in March -- and the one coming up. Speaking of painful situations ...

Kyiv
Destination Expert
for Kiev, Ukraine
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
195. Re: Kiev protests

Hi Julie :)

Apart from the current ruined looks of the city centre, and Maidan in particular, there's no difference in visiting Kyiv today or a year ago, or during EURO-2012.

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
196. Re: Kiev protests

Hi Julie and all,

We are about to leave Kyiv today, after a wonderful safe week. We have spent hours in Maidan and can confirm it is quite safe at the moment visitors are not. the enemy, the people of Kyiv including the revolutionaries want tourists here.

We have seen small pockets of violence, but never towards us, just don't go round waving Russian flags. In fact we haven't been treated with anything other than friendliness and kindness.

Most of Kyiv you would never know there was anything other than normality, providing you avoid Maidan. In the end we spent most of our stay right in the middle of Maidan, and walked to at all times of the day. Look past the barricades and tents and it is normal.

Kyiv
Destination Expert
for Kiev, Ukraine
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
197. Re: Kiev protests

Thanks a lot for reporting back, Latitudebeer! (and for confirming my assurances ;)

Hope you enjoyed your trip :)

London, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
198. Re: Kiev protests

hi , i have plan to visit kiev Dnepropetrovsk on holidays soon , please can somebody help me about is it safe to travel these area near by borispol and Dnepropetrovsk local towns ? thank you very much for your help

Edited: 17 June 2014, 10:31
London, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
199. Re: Kiev protests

and also can somebody help me about where can i get information about about distance from kiev borispol to Dnepropetrovsk town as well. thank you very much for help.

Kyiv
Destination Expert
for Kiev, Ukraine
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
200. Re: Kiev protests

Hi sharo_rising and welcome to Kyiv forum :)

Both Kyiv and Dnepr are totally fine to visit. There is presently no unrest in any of these cities (including near Boryspil airport in Kyiv), as well as along the way between the two.

As for the local towns in the Dnipropetrovsk area, get ready to the road blocks along the border with Donetsk oblast and better try to plan your rout so as to better avoid border towns/villages - just in case.

The distance from KBP to Dnipropetrovsk by automobile road is around 420-450km, depending on the road to take.

Have a safe trip!