We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kiev protests

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Kiev protests

We are planning a trip to Kiev in April. The media here in the UK are making Kiev look like a war zone. I am sure this is our typical media exaggeration, but I'd like to know from anyone in Kiev what it is like there now? Are things getting worse? How safe is it? We are planning to stay near Kiev central station for ease of travel. I'm quite happy that things will have settled down by April, but my wife is nervous about booking flights etc. What are your feeling? Thanks!

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,672 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
71. Re: Kiev protests

Ryan, no problem at all in Sichneviy Lane - it's a quiet dead-end street next to Slavy Square:

https:/… You'll be in a walking distance to WWII Complex, Kyiv Pechersk Lavra and Slavy Park.

For foreigners – yes (just in case). But I want to hope by June the entire Khreshchatyk street will be free from barricades.

Edited: 28 January 2014, 10:47
Mentioned in this post
Khreshchatyk
Khreshchatyk
1,507 Reviews
Kiev, Ukraine
Southeastern PA
Level Contributor
460 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
72. Re: Kiev protests

Okay, thank you, Cora, for all of your advice. We will heed it!

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,672 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
73. Re: Kiev protests

I'd like to say with careful optimism that we saw a somewhat turning point this week, with the PM resignation and cancellation of the most opposed laws adopted recently.

The downtown is absolutely calm.

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,672 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
74. Re: Kiev protests

The Philharmonic House of Ukraine re-scheduled early February concerts as follows:

Feb 1 to June 2

Feb 2 to Feb 28

Feb 4 to March 10

BUT

Today’s brilliant concert of Tschaikovskiy’s Symphonies WILL take place!

Mentioned in this post
Ukraine
Ukraine
Europe
Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,672 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
75. Re: Kiev protests

As for the current situation update, I had a meeting at Hyatt yesterday (located, as you may know, on Alla Tarasova Street, between St.Sophia and St.Michael). So I have driven around the area, coming back at around midnight.

It was safe, quiet and peaceful – also because of the cold weather (-22C-25C these days in Kyiv, but going to be warmer next few days).

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,672 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
76. Re: Kiev protests

The Symphony concert in Philharmonic House did take place last Friday just fine!

Drove around the city centre this Saturday yet again – everything was safe and quiet as usual. All sights described above in this thread were open as always.

Add Gryshko Botanic Garden http://www.nbg.kiev.ua/en/ , St.Jonah Monastery and Caves http://iona.kiev.ua/gallery.php?menu=views and Vydubichi Monastery http://www.monastyr.kiev.ua/ to the list of completely non-impacted and safe.

And it's getting warmer in Kyiv: up to -14C this morning, and it is said to be even up to around zero by the end of the week.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
25 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
77. Re: Kiev protests

Ill be over for 2 weeks on 17th Feb, I always stay near the thatre/opera house, how safe are the streets, I was told general crime is up a bit due to less police presence on the streets, also is there still much nightlife as Ill be there 2 weeks :)

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,672 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
78. Re: Kiev protests

Hi Tom,

The Opera House area is totally safe and has not been impacted. Say, none of the Opera performances has been cancelled, and it still gathers full house.

Less police presence?? This must be a joke or someone's desired reality. The situation is quite the opposite - there's an enhanced police (and road police) presence in the city these days. But the problem is there are also too many “outsiders”, too, attracted by free food, drinks and lodging in Maidan. Reported increased crime is largely driven by the latest political events and has less or no impact on those not directly involved. But it doesn’t mean you should be less careful than normally.

Some businesses on Khreshchatyk, and on or near Maidan (including in Passazh), and Hrushevskoho Street preferred to temporarily shut down, and downtown establishments in general see fewer visitors. But nightlife outside downtown had not been impacted. In any case, parties and events are held, and pubs and restaurants are open as usual.

Mentioned in this post
Khreshchatyk
Khreshchatyk
1,507 Reviews
Kiev, Ukraine
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
25 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
79. Re: Kiev protests

Great news, now can you do something about the cold? ;)

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,672 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
80. Re: Kiev protests

Sure! Consider done ;) -2C this morning, and it's going to be above zero by the end of the week :) And it's been sunny all week.