We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to Ukraine - Is it safe enough?

Which Kiev hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
2 posts
Save Topic
Travel to Ukraine - Is it safe enough?

Hi, I'm a Chinese American female and I'm planning on traveling to Kiev, Lviv, and a few other cities in the west next week by myself. I've read about some reports of harassment towards Americans, especially Asians, so is this something that I should be concerned about? Also, has the political unrest changed the travel conditions at all/possibly heightened the "racism" I've read about? I understand that being a female, there are already more risks involved in traveling, so considering current situation of Ukraine I'm not sure if I should continue with the trip. Any information would be appreciated. Thank you!

254 replies to this topic
Kyiv
Destination Expert
for Kiev, Ukraine
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
320 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel to Ukraine - Is it safe enough?

Hello sipifalls and welcome to Ukraine forum :)

Any “heightened the "racism" that you could have read about is nothing but ultimate lies and hostile propaganda. There is absolutely nothing of this kind happening in Ukraine these days. Of course, no country on globe is completely free from occasional racism-related incidents, but Ukraine is by far not the most notable country in this regard. This has been particularly proven during EURO-2012 football championship that was also accompanied by massive false media accusations, none of which proved true at the end of the day. Nothing changed in this regard since then.

Kyiv, Lviv and all other cities in the west are completely fine to visit these days and have been visited by great many travelers before including very recently.

But just like in ANY country all over the world you should mind your environment and keep your wits about you when travelling solo.

Please, look through the Trip reports collection left by other members, including solo female travelers tripadvisor.com/…28348864

Also, please, do read through the most recent feedback available on this forum from those travelers who are currently in Ukraine or have just left. Hope you find it most reassuring.

Enjoy your trip! :)

Seattle, Washington
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel to Ukraine - Is it safe enough?

Thank you for the response! :)

Kyiv
Destination Expert
for Kiev, Ukraine
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
320 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel to Ukraine - Is it safe enough?

My pleasure :)

Please, feel free to ask as many questions as you may have to be duly prepared for your solo trip! As a fellow female solo traveller I'll be more than happy to help :)

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
9 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel to Ukraine - Is it safe enough?

Hello. I've travelled to Ukraine twice, and I never had ant problems. I'm American, and I do not speak Ukrainian or Russian. Most people in Kiev and Lviv will speak English. In my opinion, Lviv is the crown jewel of the Ukraine. Lviv is like a fairy tail. The buildings and cafés are amazing, and Lviv is much cheaper than Kiev. The people in Lviv will be warmer than the people in Kiev. I spent Christmas and New Years twice in Lviv because I think the city is so beautiful. You will feel very safe in Lviv. Credit cards are accepted at all cafés, but I would still keep some cash on you in case the terminals are not working. Let me know if you have any questions.

Kyiv
Destination Expert
for Kiev, Ukraine
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
320 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel to Ukraine - Is it safe enough?

Very welcome to Ukraine forums DHCIV and many thanks for all of your feedback :)

Level Contributor
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel to Ukraine - Is it safe enough?

I am traveling to Cherkasy in June . Staying for two weeks Any issues?

Kyiv
Destination Expert
for Kiev, Ukraine
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
320 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel to Ukraine - Is it safe enough?

Hi Michael and welcome to Ukraine forum!

So far no specific issues that I can think of except those general related to any travels to Ukraine (please, read back through this forum for these).

But it might be reasonable to check this again closer to your arrival.

P.S. Two weeks sounds WAY too much for Cherkassy to me unless you're seeing someone there.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel to Ukraine - Is it safe enough?

Is it safe to travel to Kiev for crimeans?

Kyiv
Destination Expert
for Kiev, Ukraine
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
320 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel to Ukraine - Is it safe enough?

Yes, it's totally safe to EVERYONE to travel to Kyiv, including people from Crimea.

Unlike vice versa, FYI. Ukrainians were advised against all travels to Crimea at this point. Among other niceties, there were too many cars stopped and robbed in Crimea recently. Speaking from experience, not news or rumours.

Edited: 10 April 2014, 05:22
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel to Ukraine - Is it safe enough?

Thanks Cora, I`ve heard lots of different stories, don`t know what`s true whats not...not worried about Crimea. I was reassured by family and friends there that it is totally safe for Everyone. Just wanted to make sure i won`t get in trouble in Kiev.

Reply to: Travel to Ukraine - Is it safe enough?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted