We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel in March 2011

fort worth
Level Contributor
204 posts
199 reviews
Save Topic
travel in March 2011

Solo Traveller arriving on 03/05/2011 and departing on 03/12/2011.

My idea for my trip is this:

Use San Salvador as my base hotel for 2 nights and in turn visit the sites around the area.

From there I want to head to the Pacific side (03/07/2011 to 03/11/2011- 5 days 4 nights) and then

head back to the capital on 03/11/2011 to catch a flight out on 03/12/2011.

My question/needs are this:

Transportation from and to the airport and

Transportation to the Pacific Ocean hotels

Recommendations for hotels (price range is from $80.00 to $140.00 a night)

Things I would like to do are as follows:

Scuba dive

Surf

White Water rafting

Coffee Plantation tours

Tours of volcanos

Tour of towns/cities.

Other than the flight- set in stone I am open to suggestions for hotels, tours,transportation and sites to see.

Any suggestions?

San Salvador
Level Contributor
445 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: travel in March 2011

Taxi to/from airport about $ 25 ($35 max)

Transport to the beach can be cheap if by bus, or almost the same as for the airport for a taxi.

Place to stay on the beach: research El Tunco/El Sunzal/El Zonte

I have compiled some links here - search the text for El Tunco, or El Sunzal, or El Zonte:

guanacosonline.org/WebAppGuanacosOnlineAdmin…

For tour of towns/cities/coffee plantation/volcanoes consider the area known of Ruta de las Flores

los angeles, ca
Level Contributor
63 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travel in March 2011

one day in the capital city would be enough, why don't you use Suchitoto as your base instead?

boston
Level Contributor
27 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travel in March 2011

We rented a house in Sunzal which was a great base

WHY stay in the grubby city when you can stay ON the beach and surf at your door! Renting a house is super cheap andyou can trou around from there

Cars rentals (we hired a driver) would have been easy as the roads are excellent and well marked

Volcano tours are just so so- have seen better in hawaii and Costa Rica

Did a nice hike though to the cascadas (waterfalls)

We did not do coffee tours

The beaches are lovely large black sand and very easy to rent boards- the surfing is the best I have done including hawaii and costa Rica!

Airport is very easy to maneuver and super modern- many taxis etc (we arranged a driver through the home rental -

Stay away from the cites- they are not worth the time

boston
Level Contributor
27 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travel in March 2011

PS- the airport is not really close to the capital- the airport is practically ON the beach

5. Re: travel in March 2011

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2012, 07:16