We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

El Salvador for a "gringa"

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
485 posts
242 reviews
Save Topic
El Salvador for a "gringa"

Our daughter is studying abroad in San Salvador for 4 months (Aug-Dec). She is living near UCA in the Antiguo Cuscatlan

La Libertad. We have the opportunity to visit her over Thanksgiving. They are suggesting the Alicante hotel nearby for our stay. I would like to spend some extra time and see more of the country but my hubby (who does speak fluent Spanish and has had wonderful friends from El Salvador) is afraid I will be very unhappy with the poverty, pollution, etc. Our daughter has only been there two weeks and she has been won over by the very friendly and wonderful people and the beautiful countryside. Could you please suggest some options for maybe up to one week? We are not beach people. Suchitoto sounds interesting and Ruta de la Flores and the coffee plantations. Would love hotel recommendations or whether you think we should do day trips from San Salvador. Thank you!!!!

San Salvador
Level Contributor
445 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: El Salvador for a "gringa"

Hi there! In Ruta de Las Flores look for Ataco - there are some lodging options. One of the small hotels is on the way up to the cross overlooking the town.

Suchitoto has also some wonderful options like Las Puertas in front of the central plaza, Los Almendros whose owner is a french chef, and Posada de Suchitlan, which overlooks the lake, among others.

In general, Ruta de Las Flores is near more things to see: Izalco Volcano, thermal springs, waterfalls in Juayua, Coatepeque lake, zip lines, ATV (4 wheeled small buggies) tours; but Suchitoto has also nice things to do - but maybe more sleepy.

If you have a car, you can make day trips and be based in San Salvador.

Also, where you daughter lives is not so poor nor so polluted. Traffic is a bad, though...

Edited: 01 September 2010, 07:46
Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
485 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: El Salvador for a "gringa"

Thank you so much!!! We will look into those options. Yes, we assumed daughter is living in a fairly nice area - a group of them have been enjoying going out for runs - if you see a group of about 10 gringos running that's her!

sansalvador
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: El Salvador for a "gringa"

Yes there is great choices we can do during your stayence in El Salvador

Contact www.tourinelsalvador.com or ventas@interprice.com.sv they will know what to do

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: El Salvador for a "gringa"

El Salvador is best, I moved there in 1994,

I have some friends in Santa Cruz, cool town, but yes cold water

site www.senorpescado.com

have a site for info, down now for redoing,

since 1995, www.tropicooltours.com

\

lots to do, very cool people,

I stay casa del sauce

a lot when I am in san sal

short $3-4 cab ride to UCA depends on what you want to pay

5. Re: El Salvador for a "gringa"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 March 2011, 05:15