We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling alone

Which San Salvador hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling alone

I am a single female traveler going to San Salvador to do many of the top tourist attractions. is it as dangerous as the Canadian travel advisory says? Family worried I will be attacked, kidnapped or robbed.

La Libertad, El...
Level Contributor
207 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling alone

Just to be sure, I checked the Canadian governments site, the writer of that advisory should get a prize as a fiction writer, it starts off with an out & out lie about robbery, car jackings & kidnappings being on the rise & goes down hill from there.

Tourists are not targeted for crime, which is mostly drug gang turf related, howener crimes of opportunity such as purse snatching or pickpocketing do occur as any where else in the world, you just need to be aware.

It also claims that public intercity bus transportation is unsafe, another blatant lie, the highway buses operated by Tica Bus or King Quality are vastly superior to the buses operated by Greyhond in Canada/US, even the local chicken buses are in as good or better (those operating in hilly areas have been upgraded) than the school buses in Canada. I had 30+ years experience as a Canadian school bus owner/operator.

It also says to get exit stamps when leaving the country by land, El Salvador does NOT stamp passports on exit.

Abou the only point they are correct on is Canadian money can not be used or exchanged. However ATM's will accept debit/credit cards & give you US$.

Take a bit of US cash in small bills with you as on a holiday weekend the ATM may run out, you also need a $10 bill for the entry permit at Compalapa airport.

Just use common sense, leave the bling at home, don't travel alone at night & you will be as safe or safer than in some parts of Edmonton.

I retired to the La Libertad area for 2 1/2 yrs, pm me for more info

You won.t regret making the trip.

DC
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling alone

I think you'll be perfectly fine as long as you take the usual precautions, as noted by the previous commenter. I would not walk around the city at nighttime by yourself though, unless you are in a well-trafficked and well-lit area, such as the outdoor mall (La Gran Via) or in safer areas such as the Zona Rosa or Paseo del Carmen. Honestly, I would not take the public buses, with exception of the highway buses also previously mentioned, which are perfectly safe. Are there any particular attractions you plan to see? The downtown area (where the Cathedral, etc. is) is pretty safe during the day, but I wouldn't wouldn't stay there... the western/southwestern areas of San Salvador are the safest. Feel free to message me if you have questions.

La Libertad, El...
Level Contributor
207 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling alone

#2 gives good advise except about the buses, the chicken buses (old US/Canadian school buses are perfectly safe. some of the, some of the smaller van type & pickups can be a tad dodgey but you can tell them easily.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
393 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling alone

I went alone to El Salvador for 2 weeks in April and in spite of the US State Department's warnings and other statistics about homicide, etc. I found it to be a welcoming country with hospitable and helpful people. I took the chicken buses around the country and never had any issues. I arranged transportation from the airport to my first hostel only because my first time landing in a new airport, I never know quite what to expect so having someone to take you to your first destination was a good way to acclimate after 8 hours of air travel. Just be aware of your surroundings, don't leave your valuables in plain sight, talk to other travelers who are staying in your hotel to get an idea of what to do or not, etc and you'll be just fine.

San Salvador, El...
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling alone

I agree with Spahkee and deuxprop. Just take the normal precautions. Dont carry too much money, and dont go to the dangerous areas. I dont know if you made your trip already but I can make my self available if you have any other questions or concerns. I will be happy to help. And as others said, you will find kind and helpfull ppl here =)

2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling alone

When are you planning to travel, cos I have plan to travel from Chicago and I know good places in El Salvador , I had been out in San Salvador night time up to 3am and nothing bad to report. I know it as the palm of my hands, let me know maybe we can share the ride.

london
Level Contributor
9 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling alone

Hi I am Ian from the UK and have just booked a trip to El Salvador for Feb 2014 and I would appreciate your advice on a few things such as car hire scuba diving fishing etc please. Could you let me know how I can pm you on tripadvisor - I could not see any link/icon - and I can write in more detail if that is ok with you.Many thanks.

london
Level Contributor
9 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling alone

For the avoidance of doubt, the above post is addressed to Abuello but I would welcome any help from any other forum users resident in El Salvador. Many thanks.

San Salvador, El...
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traveling alone

Hello Ian, for PM you have to go to the persons profile (click on the link of their user name) and then, on the left side, scroll down a little bit and thats the Send message link. Regarding the car renting, thats actually preatty easy and I thing you can find that info on line. Is not much different from other countries. I've seen a couple of companies that can help you with the kind of activities you mentioned. Unfortunatelly I've never scuba dive so I couldnt help you with that. But any other thing you're free to ask.

Sonsonate, El...
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Traveling alone

hello very good question, I congratulate you for taking into account El Salvador.

first turality the country is not like what the news say this is beautiful and a suitable person and you can be sure to make this trip.

few people who make custom tour of,

as: https://www.facebook.com/thextremetour…

will help in diving and everything else contact him for better information

good and fun by drive time: Marvin B

Get answers to your questions about San Salvador