We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary

Kalamazoo, Michigan
Level Contributor
428 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary

I am looking for any suggestions on a first trip to Nicaragua. I love Jamaica and my guy loves Italy. I am thinking a combination of beaches,history and volcanoes. Our stay will be 10 to 14 days and we would be willing to take air transportation to save on time to get from one destination to another. Beaches Caribbean or Pacific? Leon a must? Car or plane? Restaurants? Any information is welcomed!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
120 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary

You both are going to love it! I just posted a long full trip report, and I can only comment on the few places we got to in our 8 nights...

San Juan del Sur on the southwest coast was great - for beaches the actual beaches north and south of SJDS are gorgeous - crystal clear waters, warm, fun waves. In this area you can also do some surfing, sail trips, fishing, zip line, horseback riding. Most of the hotels can help you set any of this stuff up. We stayed at Pelican Eyes - definitely the most expensive in the town, but a really nice splurge ($155 a night for our habitacion - but that had a sitting area, double headed shower, wrap around deck/balcony, etc) I know you can definitely find more budget places in town also.

We didn't make it to Leon but I heard that it was really beautiful. We loved Granada though - the colonial architecture, colors...really gorgeous. We stayed at Casa San Francisco and paid $60 a night. The staff was so helpful and their restaurant is great. From Granada there are the Isletas on the lake that you can kayak or take a boat tour around. We went and hiked Volan Mombacho - two different hikes to choose from and it has great views of the lake and Granada.

Ometepe may also fit your bill. We didn't make it there (trip number 2!) but it's an island in the lake built from two volcanos, although I've heard those are more difficult to hike/climb.

Restaurants - in San Juan del Sur I'd recommend Colbri (Hummingbird). This may be one of my fave restaurants anywhere now. It has a really cute ambiance and the food is fantastic - different specials and a meditterean kick to it. The sangria is also yummy.

We had a nice lunch on the beach at El Timon also - good tostones!

In Granada we stopped for drinks at the upstairs bar of the Gran Francia hotel and that was really delightful - sitting out on their balcony. Had great lunches at El Tercer Ojo and Nectar (both kind of tapas style places. really tasty dishes).

have fun!

2. Re: Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2009, 06:25