We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Only one ferry route to Ometepe?

San Francisco Bay...
Level Contributor
45 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Only one ferry route to Ometepe?

Is there only one ferry route to get to Ometepe, from San Jorge? or did i hear somewhere you could also get there on a ferry that leaves Granada?

Thank you!

Napa, California
Level Contributor
217 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Only one ferry route to Ometepe?

I took a ferry from Rivas. I did not know of others, but the replies lead one to believe thare are many ferries from different ports.

San Juan del Sur
Level Contributor
105 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Only one ferry route to Ometepe?

The Rivas and San Jorge ferries are one and the same. Yes, there is a ferry from Granada. I don't know the schedule, but I seem to remember that it only goes once or twice a week. This same ferry makes the trip from Granada to Omotepe to a couple of small places on the eastern shore of the lake and then San Carlos and returns. The Granada ferry stops at Altagracia on Ometepe while the San Jorge ferry stops at Moyogalpa.

London
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Only one ferry route to Ometepe?

I got more information on ferry and boat timings from Vianica.com website http://www.vianica.com/visit/ometepe). If the link does not open go to destinations, find ometepe and the boat and ferry time table is at the end of the page.

I have not checked whether this information has been upadetd recently or not.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Only one ferry route to Ometepe?

There is a ferry from Granada to Ometepe, but it takes just as much time, if not more to drive from Granada to San Jorge and catch the ferry there. That ferry runs several times a day all days of the week, while the ferry from Granada only runs only a few times (not everyday) during the entire week.

North Arlington, NJ
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Only one ferry route to Ometepe?

There is another ferry to Ometepe from Granada. It leaves Monday and Thursday (also Saturday I think, not sure) at 2pm and takes about 4 hours, that's it. The San Jorge - Ometepe ferry runs several times per day and it's very easy to take a bus between Rivas (cheap and short cab ride or bus to/from San Jorge) and Granada. It takes a little over an hour.

Also you should know that the Granada and San Jorge ferries arrive in different towns on Ometepe. The Granada one stops at Altagracia and the SJ one at Moyogalpa.

6. Re: Only one ferry route to Ometepe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 19:18