We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 day trip - where to go?

Alexandria, VA
3 posts
Save Topic
5 day trip - where to go?

I am planning a 5 day trip to Nicaragua in November. I would like to go to Granada, Ometepe and San Juan del sur. But I feel this is too much for such a short trip and am torn between Ometepe and SJDS.

Any recommendations will be appreciated!

Much thanks.

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 day trip - where to go?

Well defnitely you will have to do Granada for at leats 2 nights. I recommend the following:

Day 1: Managua Airport to Granada - City tour Granada and the Isletas tour.

Day 2: Masaya Volcano, Masaya`s market, Catarina and San Juan de Oriente.

Day 3: Ometepe 1 day tour, after tour spend the night in San Juan del Sur.

Day 4: Free in San Juan del Sur

Day 5: San Juan del Sur - Managua.

I will recommend an early flight to Managua in order to do the Granada activities. Please do not hesiate to contact me for anuything that you may need at rodolfo.nicaragua@hotmail.com

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 day trip - where to go?

I was in Nicaragua about a month ago for a few weeks and Isla de Ometepe was one of my favorite places. I spent about a week there and about a week in Granada. I couldn't personally imagine trying to fit in all three of those destinations in 5 days, but it depends on what your traveling style is like. I would say you need more than a day trip to Ometepe, but it depends what you are looking for. I didn't go to SJDS, but I've heard it has great beaches and is mainly a surfer town. Ometepe is beautiful and has a lot of great hiking. There are two volcanoes to climb (each take about a full day), otherwise I recommend going to the San Ramon waterfall which can be done in a half day. Then jumping in Lake Nicaragua after your hike is a great way to end the evening.

I second the recommendation of checking out the Masaya Volcano from Granada. Do a tour of the lava tubes, and you get to wear gas masks! On a side note, if you find yourself in Granada during the weekend and you enjoy going out dancing, I recommend going to Cafe Nuit!

3. Re: 5 day trip - where to go?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2009, 16:50