We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Costa Rica vs.Nicaragua 6 days on the beach

Prague
11 posts
Save Topic
Costa Rica vs.Nicaragua 6 days on the beach

If you had to chose between Nicaragua and Costa Rica which would you chose and why? I need to make a decision and need some help.

Managua
Level Contributor
641 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Costa Rica vs.Nicaragua 6 days on the beach

Nicaragua!

Got almost the same attractions- volcanoes, lakes, beaches, mountains but cheaper, less 'touristy'.

And I lived in Costa Rica for 2 half years!

Nicaragua Top 10 list:

…typepad.com/nicaragua/nicaragua_top_10_list/

Portland, OR
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Costa Rica vs.Nicaragua 6 days on the beach

Definately Nicaragua! Much more peaceful. Wide uncrowded beaches and friendly locals. Costa Rica has a more developed infrastructure, but if you are going to stay at the beach, who cares about the roads. I would avoid San Juan del Sur. The better beaches are north and south of the town. Many great small and intimate lodging options. Disfrute!

Managua
Level Contributor
641 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Costa Rica vs.Nicaragua 6 days on the beach

yeah i'll second the opinion on San Juan del Sur!!

Prague
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Costa Rica vs.Nicaragua 6 days on the beach

Thank you all for help!I am thinking about Las Penitas.I would like to use time also for swimming.Is it possible to swim in LP or waves are too big?

ticoboy01, if you can add some other beaches in NICA I would highly appreciate it.San Juan del Sur is definately not my choice.

Managua
Level Contributor
641 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Costa Rica vs.Nicaragua 6 days on the beach

The waves in Las Penitas can get big, but you can swim there no problem. At present they're high but in high season the're smaller and perfectly safe to swim.

Next door Poneloya has strong currents though!

…typepad.com/las_penitas_poneloya/homepage/

A real beauty of a beach with perfect swimming is Playa Gigante near Rivas:

…typepad.com/photos/nicaragua_beaches/playag…

Heres my Top 10 beaches in Nicaragua:

…typepad.com/nicaragua_beaches/…

Cambria, Ca
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Costa Rica vs.Nicaragua 6 days on the beach

If you have time go to both! If not, it depends on what your looking for. Both are equally beautiful. If you want lots of development and comfort go to Costa Rica, If you want to see a jewel in the rough go to Nicaragua and spend some time in San Juan Del Sur. Beautiful beaches and people.

Prague
11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Costa Rica vs.Nicaragua 6 days on the beach

Dear thenicaraguablog, final question:-)Is there any hotel/accomodation on Playa GIgante? (20-30 US dolar range)?Thanks.

Managua
Level Contributor
641 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Costa Rica vs.Nicaragua 6 days on the beach

No.

Part of its appeal;)

There is a condo resort on the next beach- the Iguana- and also Santa Ana is near but both above your budget.

You can easily do a day trip from San Juan del Sur, or if you are planning on visiting Ometepe you could stay overnight in nearby Rivas and then get the ferry the following morning!

Prague
11 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Costa Rica vs.Nicaragua 6 days on the beach

Thanks for your help!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Costa Rica vs.Nicaragua 6 days on the beach

I am too looking at Nicaragua. Playa Gigante under $30 check out Hotel Brio, one that I have found that looks like a possiblity. Cheers