We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Help Planning June Vacation to Nicaragua

Forrest
4 posts
Save Topic
Need Help Planning June Vacation to Nicaragua

I am planning to vacation in Nicaragua from June 15-24 and am needing help with my itinerary.

Day 1 Mon: Arrive in evening and travel to Leon

Day 2 Tues: Spend the day in Leon and then travel to Masaya

Day 3 Wed: Visit markets in Masaya, explore the Masaya volcano, maybe visit the pottery town of San Juan de Oriente.

Day 4 Thurs: Travel to Granada in the morning and spend the day in the town.

Day 5 Fri: Do day trip to one of: Laguna Apoyo, tour of Pueblos Blancos including Catarina, hike to Mombacho Volcano, Las Isletas

Day 6 Sat: Third and final day in Granada, another day trip

Day 7 Sun: Ometepe for two days

Day 8 Mon: Ometepe

Day 9 Tues: San Juan del Sur

Day 10 Wed: Back to Managua to catch flight

I am wondering if all of this fits together well? Am I spending too much time somewhere and not enough time somewhere else? Should I extend my stay at San Juan Del Sur?

Also, is the weather going to cooperate with my plans in the middle of June?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Utrecht
Level Contributor
222 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Help Planning June Vacation to Nicaragua

Are you travelling from Ometepe to San Juan del Sur on the 9th? Then I don't think you will really be able to enjoy your stay there (just an afternoon and evening). You could also change the order of your itinerary and visit Granada after Ometepe.

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
1,203 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Help Planning June Vacation to Nicaragua

Dear Teresa,

Your itineray looks pretty good but maybe some samll changes, i put this one together:

Day 1 Mon: Transfer from the Managua Aiport to Leon.

Day 2 Tue: City tour of Leon and then transfer to Masaya.

Day 3 Wed: Visit of Masaya Volcano, arts and crafts market, Catarina and San Juan de Oriente, finishing this transfer to Granada.

Day 4 Thu: City tour of Granada & Las Isletas

Day 5 Fri: Tour to the Mombacho volcano and then a visit to the Apoyo lagoon for a refreshing swim.

Day 6 Sat: Transfer from Granada to Ometepe, once in the island visit Altagracia and Charco Verde.

Day 7 Sun: Ometepe (You can visit Finca El Porvenir to see the Petroglyphs and a trail to the maderas Volcano or just enjoy the beach and the Ojo de Agua)

Day 8 Mon: Transfer from Ometepe to San Juan del Sur

Day 9 Tue: Free in San Juan del Sur

Day 10 Wed: Transfer from San Juan del Sur to Managua for your flight.

We just started our rainy season but most rain comes down at night, the heaviest rain will be in Septemeber / October, if you need any further assistance do not hesitate to contact me

Forrest
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Help Planning June Vacation to Nicaragua

Thanks so much for your suggestions! Greatly appreciated! Now some more!...

What are your thought on the following Hotels/Hostels/B&Bs - are they okay to stay at?

Not wanting to spend a lot and do not want fancy hotels.

1. Hostal Colibri in Leon

2. Hostal Tortuga Booluda in Leon

3. Los Balcones

4. Hotel Terrasol in Granada

5. Las Islita in Granada

6. Casa Sacuanjoche in Granada

7. Finca Santa Domingo in Ometepe

8. The American Cafe and Hotel in Ometepe

Also looking for places to stay inSan Juan Del Sur and Masaya. Any recommendations would be great.

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
1,203 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Help Planning June Vacation to Nicaragua

Out of the hostels and B&B's mentioned in Leon i will definetely go with Los Balcones but other options will be:

- Hotel San Juan de Leon: www.hsanjuandeleon.com

- Hotel La Posada del Doctor: www.laposadadeldoctor.com

- Hotel Austria: www.hotelaustria.com.ni

- Hotel Europa: www.hoteleuropaleon.com

About the ones in Granada i will choose Terrasol but other options will be:

- Hotel Cociboolca: www.hotelcocibolcagranada.com

- Hotel Casa San Martin:

- Condo Hotel de Xalteva: www.nicacondos.com

- Hotel La Pergola: www.lapergola.com.ni

In Ometepe I will recommend:

- Hotel Charco Verde

- Hotel Finca Playa Venecia: www.fincavenecia.com

- Finca El Porvenir

- Finca Magdalena

Please do not hesitate to contact me for any further information rodolfo.nicaragua@hotmail.com

Phoenix
Level Contributor
118 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need Help Planning June Vacation to Nicaragua

That is a very busy itinerary !

And you are avoiding all the parts of Nicaragua that will be much cooler and lushly green in mid June. Matagalpa and Jinotega in the northern mountains are spectacular. Save Leon for your next trip and instead spend a night or two at the Selva Negra property

Managua
Level Contributor
641 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Need Help Planning June Vacation to Nicaragua

Yeah that's definitely a pretty busy itinerary!

You don't need to stay in Masaya, you can easily visit the volcano, market, Laguna and San Juan de Oriente on a tour from Granada:

granadanicaragua.typepad.com/granada_tours/

IMO skip Leon.

I love the mountain areas but I wouldn't stay at Selva Negra, rooms are long past their sell by date!

1 day in SJDS? Hardly worth the travel!

I'd build the core around Granada and Ometepe IMO, maybe beach or mountains remaining days!

You'll get enough sun on the beach, rain means everything is greener!

http://www.thenicaraguablog.com

ometepe
Level Contributor
12 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need Help Planning June Vacation to Nicaragua

If it was me I would try to reduce the stress of changing towns everyday or two. if you stay in Granada for 4 nights it is possible to do day trips to mombacho, las isletas, lago de apoyo, catarina, masaya, san juan de orriente. they are all within a easy drive of each other. I would recomend staying at Casa Chandlor (about 50$) as it was really quiet and private or Hospedalli Oasis (about25$) depending on your budget. Then i would go to Ometepe for another 3 - 4 nights. depending where you stay you can enjoy the beach, hike the volcano, kyack, horseback ride. I spent some time staying in Finca del Sol (about 35$) and I really liked it, close to the beach, ecological, and really nice hosts. Also Porvineer is nice if your are on a tight budget, and just want a bed. It hardly makes sense to go to San Juan for one night, although not impossibe as when you get off the ferry it is only a 40 min taxi ride. Hope it helps,

Curacao
Level Contributor
284 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need Help Planning June Vacation to Nicaragua

Can't you stay a few more days in the country? It's indeed a very busy schedule. You'll be rushing to see many parts of the country, rather than really enjoy each place at a relaxed pace. Haven't been to Ometepe myself at, but all the other parts I've been to (San juan del sur, Granada, Managua and Leon) I really wanted to stay longer and at some I stayed longer than expected.

Downstate, IL
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need Help Planning June Vacation to Nicaragua

I stayed at a hostel called Hostel Oasis or Oasis Hostel in Granada and it was nice and reasonable.

They also have day trips from their hotel which are also fun and reasonable. The hostel was relaxing, like a library with hammocks. Go to the Garden Cafe for a great sandwhich.

10. Re: Need Help Planning June Vacation to Nicaragua

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 November 2009, 05:32