We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling from Nicaragua to Costa Rica

Boston
1 post
Save Topic
Traveling from Nicaragua to Costa Rica

My husband and I are heading to Nicaragua for 11 days and part of the time we will be down in SJDS. We were thinking of possibly crossing over into Costa Rica for a few days. Are there any great destinations (surfing, hiking, towns) within an hour over the border where we could stay for a few days? Other posts mentioned that we can't drive our rental car over the border. What would be the best way to travel there?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Nicaragua
Nicaragua
Central America
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Kite Little Corn
Sports Camps & Clinics, Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
Stand Up Paddle Corn Islands
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
Aquaholic Fish and Surf Charter
What SUP
Nicaragua
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling from Nicaragua to Costa Rica

There are comoanies that ofeer private transfers from Nicaragua to Costa Rica, they will hlp you with all the border formalities to make things easier for you. www.nicaraguaescapade.weebly.com i think they can help you by providing that transfer.

Mentioned in this post
Nicaragua
Nicaragua
Central America
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Granada
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling from Nicaragua to Costa Rica

In the area in and around the Guanacaste, the Nicoya peninsula and the city of Liberia (Northwest of Costa Rica) you can find what you are looking in terms of surfing, hiking and towns. The infrastructure is good and many offers and hotels are available.

You can't take a rental across that border, but it is possible to switch cars there crossing the border on foot. An alternative are the bus services of Ticabus and Transnica.

Mentioned in this post
Liberia
Liberia
Province of Guanacaste, Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Kirkland, WA
Level Contributor
257 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling from Nicaragua to Costa Rica

For surfing towns in Guanacaste (Northwest Costa Rica) I like Playa Grande (about 40 minutes north of Tamarindo) and Playa Avellanas/Playa Negra (about an hour south of Tamarindo). They are mellow little beach towns with good surf, you won't find much in the way of hiking. If you go to Playa Avellanas you have to eat at Lola's which is right on the beach and has a great vibe.

If you want more options as far as services and don't mind some hustle and bustle Tamarindo has a lot to offer but has been getting pretty built up lately.

If you want really mellow I like Playa Junquiall which is about 20/30 minutes farther south than Playa Avellanas/Playa Negra.

My family and I have been to Costa Rica 6 times and are about to try Nicaragua for the first time. We love Costa Rica.

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Tamarindo
Tamarindo
Province of Guanacaste, Costa Rica
Lola's
Lola's
1,790 Reviews
Playa Avellanas, Costa Rica
Nicaragua
Nicaragua
Central America
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,630 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling from Nicaragua to Costa Rica

With only 11 days I wouldn't bother with trying to cross the border. The border crossing will pretty much take up an entire day each way. Better to spend the time enjoying Nicaragua and take a separate trip to Costa Rica in the future

Mentioned in this post
Nicaragua
Nicaragua
Central America
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Phoenix
Level Contributor
118 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling from Nicaragua to Costa Rica

Can not agree with the fella from San Fran. Either of the two major bus lines will have you thru the border crossing in less than 30 minutes. Certainly "a full day" is not needed.

Air-conditioned, movie, reclining seats, on board restroom. "Just take the bus, and leave the driving to us"............oh, never mind !

New York
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling from Nicaragua to Costa Rica

If you are thinking about visiting nicaragua for just a few days or just One day, i always advice to do the "One day tour" so that you get an idea of what Nicaragua is, i did really like the experience and would love to repeat it again. Check www.macuatours.com they made our trip more enjoyable and i will highly recommend them to you. Hope this information helps you in case you want to visit Nicaragua.

Mentioned in this post
Nicaragua
Nicaragua
Central America
7. Re: Traveling from Nicaragua to Costa Rica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2010, 05:16