We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Recommendations Masaya & Lago de Apollo

nicaragua
Level Contributor
26 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Recommendations Masaya & Lago de Apollo

We will be entertaining friends from out of country and wish to spend one night near or in Masaya and another at Lago de Apollo. Hotel recommendations would be welcome. Has anyone stayed at Narome recently? With thanks.

Managua
Level Contributor
641 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Recommendations Masaya & Lago de Apollo

Food at Narome is famously bad!

Masaya isn't well served by good hotels.

Try Craters Edge at Laguna de Apoyo.

Phoenix
Level Contributor
118 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Recommendations Masaya & Lago de Apollo

This one is new and absolutely spectacular !

http://www.vrbo.com/219308

Phoenix
Level Contributor
118 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Recommendations Masaya & Lago de Apollo

This one is new and absolutely spectacular !

http://www.vrbo.com/219308

Carrollton, Texas
Level Contributor
18 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Recommendations Masaya & Lago de Apollo

We tried Crater's Edge last year and found the place to be good, but quirky. There are some good posts about it on TripAdvisor, but it seemed to be geared more towards 20 somethings as an upscale hostel. We are in our 40s with two young teenagers and felt out of place. Also, no air conditioning (we knew that in advance) and as many other posts will tell you, the cost is reasonable, but they do charge for each meal, snack, etc which boosts the bill quite high. We will try someplace else next time. Again, not a bad place, but not for us.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
882 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Recommendations Masaya & Lago de Apollo

Purely my opinion from when I last visited, but would agree Masaya didn't seem to have much for hotels/hostels (though that may have changed since I was there). BigJim speaks with more authority since he's there (or so I think, anyway...) but maybe consider staying in Granada. Plenty of options there. I stayed at Hotel Terrasol (for hotels, I also stayed at Hostal Oasis, which isn't bad by hostel standards) and liked this hotel a lot. Comfortable rooms with TV and AC, nice food downstairs. Just a little off the main square, maybe 4-5 blocks. Do keep in mind while they have modern showers/bathrooms, it is only cold water. That isn't necessarily terrible in hot, humid Nicaragua but something to consider.

Anyway, Granada is a short drive to both Lago and Masaya. Either a short drive if you drive or a short bus ride, maybe 25 minutes? Also, Hostal Oasis used to offer a "day trip" bus ride to Crater's Edge/Laguna de Apoyo and you didn't have to be a guest of the hostal - just make an appointment. They don't seem to saying much on their website, but if you go to http://www.nicaraguahostel.com/ you could contact them. However, I'm sure you could arrange a taxi for daytrips to Lago.

Granada, Nicaragua
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Recommendations Masaya & Lago de Apollo

YOu should try Norome Villas. It is under new management and they have 1-2-3 bedroom furnished villas with A/C . The restaurant lost much of its palm shading roof in a bad wind storm 3 months ago but it is open for business and the food is OK with a local flavor. Can't beat the view . Howler monkeys travel through the trees daily. The Lake is 82 degrees and wonderful to swim or kakak in. It recieved bad press over the last two years due to declining occupancy that could not sustain the tremendous maintenance of being in the jungle but the new management company is bringing it all back to life and it shows!

Edited: 16 January 2010, 04:18
Managua
Level Contributor
641 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Recommendations Masaya & Lago de Apollo

Thx for the update johnny2names,

I might be going there soon, I'll report back!

8. Re: Hotel Recommendations Masaya & Lago de Apollo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 July 2010, 05:16