We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Laguna de Apoyo Spanish School

Santa Fe, NM
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Laguna de Apoyo Spanish School

My husband and I are thinking of spending a couple of weeks there in March/April. I've been to Nicaragua before and have learned that a lot of places are totally different then how they appear on a website. I'm trying to choose between Laguna de Apoyo Spanish School and another place called La Mariposa Spanish School and Eco Hotel. I've read a lot of reviews written by people who have stayed at La Mariposa, but I've heard/seen very little about Laguna de Apoyo Spanish School. I'd greatly appreciate it if anyone has been there and can share their experience. How were the Spanish classes? Did you take the classes or do one-on-one tutoring? What are the accommodations like? I assume they're pretty rustic. I'm cool with that as long as there are clean sheets, a good fan and a mosquito net. Were you comfortable? Thanks!!!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
143 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Laguna de Apoyo Spanish School

I would check out a new school:

www.spanishschoolcatarina.com

The lady who owns it used to work for many years at the Laguna de Apoyo school. You can do home stay with her or stay wherever you want (at Laguna de Apoyo in the area and she will come to you. I have used Gloria (the owner) several times for one-on-one. She is very good.

Don't now about La Mariposa but the comments on Vianica and TripAdvisor are very favorable.

One thing to keep in mind with March/April weather....it is HOT! My husband took a one month Spanish course in Granada in April and was pretty much uncomfortable the entire time.

Laguna de Apoyo
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Laguna de Apoyo Spanish School

I understand that Gloria is still working at Laguna de Apoyo, as the Catarina project has not been successful (www.gaianicaragua.org). It's surprising to see that Oswaldo is listed as a professor in Catarina-he was fired from Laguna de Apoyo for sexual harrassment of female students. Keep in mind that a good school has good policing to assure things like this don't happen or get resolved.

Laguna de Apoyo
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Laguna de Apoyo Spanish School

I just read the webpages of each of the schools mentioned. Whereas the mariposa school is a for-profit enterprise owned by a gringa, and the catarina school is a for-profit enterprise donating 5 percent of its profits to charity, the laguna de apoyo school is a not-for-profit organization, registered in Nicaragua, all of its board members and all paid staff are Nicaraguans, and all of its profits are used in the service projects conducted by FUNDECI/GAIA. There is a very big difference between giving crumbs back to the society and running a project as a legally registered not-for-profit organization.

Montezuma, Costa...
Level Contributor
538 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Laguna de Apoyo Spanish School

Also Craters Edge provides space and can arrange a local teacher. They charge no commision/rental, nothing - everthing goes directly to the teacher.

Maryland
Level Contributor
287 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Laguna de Apoyo Spanish School

It seems as though you're looking for something more rural, but you might check out Casa Xalteva (casaxalteva.org/about-casa-xalteva/index.html). They're also not for profit, and work with kids in the community. We plan on attending classes and volunteering there next winter. All the reviews I've read are stellar, and they've been great to work with thus far.

Good luck,

Temple

Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Laguna de Apoyo Spanish School

I can't answer your questions directly as I have never been to this school but, while in Nicaragua recently, we met a couple who had just come from this school and they were very very very happy with it. They were beginning learners and felt that the school was very helpful and they got a lot of individual attention. I cannot remember what they said about their accommodation but they were clearly very comfortable there and came away feeling that they had had a wonderful experience.

7. Re: Laguna de Apoyo Spanish School

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 November 2010, 06:20