We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tips added to bill?

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
7,730 posts
123 reviews
Save Topic
tips added to bill?

I just read this: " They do add gratuity and tax to these prices (a 25% addition to your bill, which as you may know is common in Nicaraguan restaurants)" True?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
882 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tips added to bill?

Not unheard of...tax, of course, is no different than anywhere else, so that shouldn't be a huge concern. Gratuity, while I saw on checks somewhat commonly in Central America and Ecuador when I was there, is something I'd probably give anyway but still would prefer that my server had some sense they had to earn it and it wasn't just assumed - especially for small groups or individuals. And I say that as a part-time server, I feel I have to give good service if I am to feel I deserve a tip.

On the gratuity, I'd say if you get the service you're hoping for, then just pay it and know the math was one for you. If you don't get the service, then make sure you let management know. My guess is you're not required by any law to pay a gratuity (though don't quote me...I'm not a Nicaraguan lawyer!).

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
2,944 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tips added to bill?

at a restaurant, there is a 15% IVA (sales tax)

and also in many restaurants, a 10% service charge. No additional gratuity is ecpected after this.

3. Re: tips added to bill?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2010, 06:18