We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Before you go----------Read a book

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
8,132 posts
125 reviews
Save Topic
Before you go----------Read a book

While travelling in England a few years ago and on a tour bus to Bath, a mother and daughter asked how i knew so much about where we were going.. Read a book I said. In this case a travel guide.

Might I suggest some of our posters do the same!

Buy a guide, sit in Barnes and Noble and read theirs if you don't want to buy,or go to your library. My wife tells me the most popular re-sale books in our library are the travel guides.

Sure some of the facts are wrong or outdated but you get a sense of what you should see and do in that part of the world. Then I bug the TA experts!!!

I keep my guide on the coffee table for tv commercials!!

See you at the bookstore

Dave

VIP Nicaragua
City Tours, Multi-day Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Kabu Tours - Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Eco Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours
Pittsburg, Kansas
Level Contributor
254 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Before you go----------Read a book

Great Post!

I learned this trick years ago when I bought my first Rough Guide to Mexico, then Rough Guide to Romania. Today I am writing from Costa Rica. I am carrying Costa Rica for Dummies and Lonely Planet Costa Rica. I save so much time and money using these guides, plus I have a little bit of history and other basic facts about the country. But the guide you buy should reflect your travel style and purpose for travel.

I am a budget traveler so I buy books that show low end hotels and hostels, give info on off the beaten path places, give bus info as well as taxi info, etc.

More upscale folks who like 3-5 star hotels or who are heavy duty shoppers or like architecture or art should use Fromer's or Fodor's guides.

To get the absolute latest info you might have to buy a new book but I just bought a 2010 Costa Rica book on Half.com for $2.75 with $5 shipping, so I got a 20+ dollar book for about 7. It is like new and appears that someone bought it, used it lightly for their trip and sold it.

I also recommend you get a good map. My $20 map cost $2.75 in perfect condition.

Mentioned in this post
Romania
Romania
Europe
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
2. Re: Before you go----------Read a book

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 27 January 2011, 13:05
Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
8,132 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Before you go----------Read a book

I normally rec. the Moon Guide but I yesterday perused the Lonely Planet Guide in the bookstore and it is very good. With a 2009 date it maybe a little off on the fast changing restaurant scene but use TA for those!!

Edited: 23 May 2011, 16:48
Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
1,323 posts
308 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Before you go----------Read a book

I buy lonely planet and also look online. A few years ago I was in Berlin trying to find a restaurant mentioned and never did find it.

So yes buy a guide, look at tripadvisor, look online at specific sites.

Mentioned in this post
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
5. Re: Before you go----------Read a book

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2012, 18:15