We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best guide book?

New England
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
155 reviews
Save Topic
Best guide book?

We are a couple in our late forties looking for comfortable accommodations in interesting locales and cities, but on a reasonable budget. Anyone have opinions on the best guide book, aside from online resources? Speaking of those online resources, what are the best ones?

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
7,358 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best guide book?

We have the new 2010 Moon guide which is fine but i would also look at the 2008 version at your library.

There is not a lot of info about Nic. so just keep googling and also Utube for videos

Remember that tourist info has a short lifespan so be sure to double check everything Dave

Montreal
Level Contributor
254 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best guide book?

I have 3: 2010 Moon guide, V!va 1st edition 2010 and the Lonely Planet 2009 2nd edition guide. I cannot say that one is better than the other, they all offer similar information. It will depend on where you plan to go and what you plan on doing.

Since we are heading down to Masachapa (near Pochomil) in March, I was looking for specific info on that area which was briefly mentioned in the Lonely Planet and Viva guides, and nothing at all in the Moon guide. I even asked on this forum and did not get any replies.

In planning this trip, I read the hotel reviews on Trip Advisor and booked based on the comments of this site. You could also try http://vianica.com or /www.nicaragua.com/ web sites. The above mentioned guide books have their web sites as well which provide some basic info.

We are a couple in our early fifties and we are paying $60 per night for all our rooms except for the last night in Managua when we will splurge for the Camino Real. We booked our transportation and tours online as well.

PM me and I can give you more details of our bookings, cost, etc.

Hope this helps!

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,201 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best guide book?

I like Moon Nicaragua. I have the Lonely Planet too, but after reading through them both carefully at home, I left the LP at home. All the Moon books I've bought have been great.

http://vianica.com/ is an excellent online resource. (I keep meaning to send them a compliment.)

Granada, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best guide book?

Hello.

From my xperience as a tour guide in Nic. i have read and compare all of the book guides and the best guide so far it is footprint guide. Moon Lonely planet Rough guide are very good guides but the experience of a foreigner living in Nicaragua guives to this guide the touch to understand best the Nicarguans.

Enjoy Nicaragua

New England
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best guide book?

Thank you all for your very helpful responses. The vianica.com site is certainly a great resource and I will likely buy one guidebook, perhaps Footprint or Moon.

Cleveland, OH
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best guide book?

Someone from our hotel recommended the "Footprints" guide. I haven't ordered it yet--but the lonely planet has a great "Nicaragua" chapter available for kindle (can read on any smartphone or device, don't need a kindle) for about $5.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
786 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best guide book?

I have the Lonely Planet, Rough Guide, Viva, Moon and Footprints guides. I know, too many, but I love reading them - candy for the mind.

I'd say it is a tie between Moon and Footprints, and brought them both along, as they supplement each other well. And both have far better maps than any of the others.

Hunbille

8. Re: Best guide book?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2012, 21:16