We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 AM flight....what to do?

nc Coast
Level Contributor
296 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
2 AM flight....what to do?

I am finishing my visit in Nic soon. Flying out of MGA @ 2:30AM. Will be coming in from Leon the evening before. Don't want to travel on the UCA minibuses arriving after dark and having to get a taxi in Managua in dark.

Trying to figure out something to do before the flight??

Should I strike a deal with a taxi driver in Leon to drive to MGA @ 9:00? No really a fan of traveling in the dark in CA but have done it.

If I stay in Managua the night before that won't much since check out is like noon...

Or just bite the bullet leave early ( to arrive Managua just before dark ) and sit it out in the airport?

Other ideas appreciated....

Montreal
Level Contributor
243 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 AM flight....what to do?

I have not gone yet but will be traveling after dark taking a private transfer from the airport to Granada, our flight landing at 9PM in early March. We chose Rodolfo. http://nicaraguaescapade.weebly.com/

I think your best bet would be your taxi option, but I noticed that on Rodolfo's web site that they are offering a private transfer from Leon to MGA for $65. Don't know how this compares with the taxi cost though.

Hope the rest of your trip is enjoyable and I hope you will post a trip report upon your return.

Carole

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
882 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 AM flight....what to do?

I think the first question to determine is do the minibuses travel after dark anyway? Admittedly my travels in Nica were 2 years ago, but I don't remember them traveling after dark at all - so that might answer some questions for you if that is correct.

Otherwise, I guess you'll have to ask what is more important to you: time or money. Personally, I'd probably be inclined to get into MGA before dark and camping out somewhere. I'm not sure I'd be a fan of sitting in the airport for upwards of 6 hours, but that would be the less expensive option. Would the Best Western across the street let you sit in a restaurant, or another hotel let you sit in a restaurant or lobby area for less money than renting a room for the night when you'll be leaving a few hours after you'd arrive, maybe grab a good book? I'd think that would be more comfortable than the airport.

nc Coast
Level Contributor
296 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 AM flight....what to do?

Thanks for all the input. Think I will arrive before dark and maybe go directly to the Best Western, eat there and maybe hang out a while, then go to the airport and read a book....... some of the reviews make the airport sound good next to the BW :)

Anyone know what a taxi should cost for 1 person from the UCA stop to the BW / airport?

Granada, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,079 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 AM flight....what to do?

hello.

A taxy from managua UCA station to the airport should not cost more than $10 dollars, that is a fair price but the taxy driver can pick more people on the road, tell him private transfer not more people in the cab.$5 dollars xtra sound like a decent price for safety on a capital city.

Enjoy your trip.

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
1,153 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 AM flight....what to do?

No Byron, you are wrong my friend. The cost fo the taxi is US$5.00 or 100 Cordobas

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
882 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 AM flight....what to do?

I was going to guess $5-10 based on my memory from when I was there. However, good point to indicate private transfer and, since I believe they are unmetered taxis in Managua, negotiate prices in advance.

nc Coast
Level Contributor
296 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 AM flight....what to do?

Thanks, Good to know. I shared an airport taxi when I arrived and we paid much more ...but I know the airport taxis are very expensive compared to other taxis.

Granada, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,079 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 AM flight....what to do?

Hey Ortega but that´s if you are on your own, but if you carrying with you a backpack can increase, but at the end 10 to 15 US is not that bad to pay for safety and going on your own. RIven1950 let us know what a you pay at the end.

Good trip.

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
1,153 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 AM flight....what to do?

Good Ortega. jajaja

10. Re: 2 AM flight....what to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 04:18