We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two week trip

California
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Two week trip

Hi..I am attempting to plan my two week vacation to Nicaragua. I was thinking of doing San Juan del sur, ometepe, little corn and big corn. Does any one have suggestions on where to go first. How long will it take to get from Managua to ometepe then to San jaun? Also suggestions on how long to stay in each place would be extremely helpful! Thanks!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
882 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two week trip

From my memory, MGA to Ometepe (or San Jorge, where you catch the ferry to Ometepe) will be somewhere around 2-3 hours one way by private shuttle (i.e. Paxeos). Ometepe to SJDS around 1-2 hours, I believe. Corn Islands are realistically accessible only by plane out of MGA.

Others may have better or more recent experience, and also speak on all the locations (I didn't personally visit them all). That said, I would guess a few days in each will give you some adequate flavor. I would think more than a few days and you may start running out of things to do (unless you're a complete surfing fan, or hiker, or similar).

Since Corn Islands are flights, I suppose I would put them on one end or the other of your trip. Either go directly there from MGA when you arrive, or make it your last stop before heading home. Otherwise, I'm not sure there's a compelling reason to pick any one location first.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
15 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two week trip

I just returned from a month in Nicaragua (mostly in Granada). Can't comment on Corn Islands. The first respondent gave good info - to clarify, San Jorge to SJDS is probably about an hour. Add the ferry of about 1 hour plus waiting time. (btw, I'm 62 but don't quite consider my traveling style that of a "senior", but I'm not a surfer either).

One item to consider - we rented a car much of the time and we found a 4wd to be delightful to have on Ometepe. The day we got there was Sunday, and buses weren't running. We only had one night there and could have spent a couple more. My daughter spent a week there (without a car) a year ago and loved it. Also, the ferry for 2 people and the car ran about $55 rt, after a plethora of various taxes and fees.

As to SJDS, it's kind of a kick-back place, and might be a place to poslish off your trip. We liked it very much for 2-3 days. If you're into late-night partying and surfing, it might be good for several more days.

3. Re: Two week trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 20:16