We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

nicaragua, mixed reviews?

uk
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
nicaragua, mixed reviews?

Hi

I am hoping to travel to Nicaragua as a solo woman traveler this August. My idea was to spend a week in Granada studying Spanish and then travel around a little.

From the research I have done so far, I have got mixed reviews. some seem to say it would not be safe for a woman travelling on her own. Others disagree.

My guidebook says it is one of the most interesting and friendly places in Central America but I have just read an independent backpackers site which is really negative, saying it is really disappointing.

All advic/opinions will begratefully accepted.

Mentioned in this post
Granada
Granada
Province of Granada, Spain
Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
8,142 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: nicaragua, mixed reviews?

I think the closer you get to the "economy" in any country, the more the risk.

I don't see that you would have a problem in Granada. We never felt unsafe there. Look at my journal "felschurch diary"

I won't comment on other parts of Nic. as we did not go there.

Mentioned in this post
Granada
Granada
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
143 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: nicaragua, mixed reviews?

I know several single female expats living in Granada. They feel it is very safe as long as you a)don't hop in a taxi unknown to you (best to have the hotel arrange your transportation) and b) stay off the side streets at night. My 22 year old niece is going there for 10 weeks this summer and I am confident as long as she follows world-wide safety precaution procedures she will probably be safer in Granada then in the states.

Mentioned in this post
Granada
Granada
USA
Level Contributor
29 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: nicaragua, mixed reviews?

I have been to Nicaragua several times and I never felt unsafe. Most of the time I was with my boyfriend but even wandering around on my own felt completely safe. As you have probably already read elsewhere, don't walk down to the lake at night in Granada and if you rent a car make sure wherever you stay has secure parking at night. There will always be mixed reviews for anywhere you want to travel, the US State Dept. has a travel alert in effect for US citizens traveling in the United Kingdom right now, don't let negative reviews stop you from what I am sure will be a wonderful experience.

Mentioned in this post
Granada
Granada
Ventura, California
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: nicaragua, mixed reviews?

I would say go go go!

I have been all over Central and parts of South America alone and although I am a male solo traveler, I have never felt more safe or more welcome than in Nicaragua. (Colombia rates a close second). I have met many single women travelers who would agree. As a whole the Nicaraguans are very polite, helpful and accommodating. The country is beautiful and it is very easy to navigate the transportation system. As "iluv2travel4f...." said before, follow common world wide safe travel practices and enjoy. Places I would think not safe for you at night would be Managua, San Juan del Sur or just as in any other place, a dark empty street anywhere. Also, good advice to always have the establishment, Hotel or Restaurant call your taxi for you.

I cant imagine Nicaragua getting bad reviews on a backpacker's site. Everything is so inexpensive with plenty of hostels and other options such as community based tourism groups all over the country. These support the local communities by providing an inexpensive place to stay with local families, usually with meals included. Some will share with you local cultural knowledge and some take you on tours and show you awesome things that you don't read about in the guide books and for much less than you would expect.

Go and enjoy and make your own great trip!

Mentioned in this post
Colombia
Colombia
South America
San Juan
San Juan
Puerto Rico
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
151 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: nicaragua, mixed reviews?

There are always going to be some people who are not comfortable in a city environment, whether it's Granada or Chicago or Tokyo. As a woman I would feel completely comfortable traveling to Granada on my own, keeping in mind the same advice you would in any city and as indicated above, regarding staying off dark/vacant streets, etc. Granada to me seemed much safer than Chicago, New York, or any other city I've lived in.

Mentioned in this post
Granada
Granada
New York
New York
United States
Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,450 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: nicaragua, mixed reviews?

Why don´t you do a homestay week with the spanish school that you are attending, that way you can practice more your spanish and use safe known taxy drivers that the family know, and you know exerxise some caution in the city like use cabs after 10pm, stay in street with enough light you can also buy a cheap cellphone (20dollars) so you can always use safe taxy drivers which anyway we don´t have problems with taxy drivers like in big cities like managua, do not go to the lake side after 6pm is not really safe but is nice in the morning you see plenty people jogging back and for early in the morning, and you can stop in a touroperator like vapues tour next to the cathedral or tierra tours from the cathedral 2 blocks towards the lake on la calzada street to get some update city maps.

Enjoy Nic is going to b a nice experience.

grand rapids, mi
Level Contributor
11 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: nicaragua, mixed reviews?

Does anyone knows about purchasing cheap cell phones that will allow me to call the States from Managua?

Also, how about shots requirements?

Good accomodations in Managua?

Your prompt response will be greatly appreciated!!!

Sierra Madre...
Level Contributor
63 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: nicaragua, mixed reviews?

@ Reinamaga3

- I would stop by your doctor's office and tell them you are coming here and will have a list of suggested shots you can get before your trip. It is usually best to do this one month ahead of time.

- If you have a small laptop I would highly suggest using Skype as a cheap means to contact home. You can chat with text for free or do the VOIP. Another option would be just purchasing a calling card. I would avoid purchasing a cellphone unless you want it for local calls.

- I've stayed at the barcelo and I would not recommend it.. I would suggest the villa maya hotel which is around $60 a night after tax and includes breakfast, but it would only be a good option if you had access to a car. If you want a place to stay where you can walk around a town and be close to everything and not have to pay for transportation I would suggest Granada. The accommodations there are cheaper than Managua and you will be within walking distance to everything. Walking in Managua to get around in Managua is not safe.

Mentioned in this post
Granada
Granada
grand rapids, mi
Level Contributor
11 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: nicaragua, mixed reviews?

Thanks for the info. (Astroph)!

uk
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: nicaragua, mixed reviews?

Hey all.

Thank you so much for all your advice. I think I am going to go for it and a home stay in Granada sounds good. I've never used this website before and I'm really impressed with how helpful people are. Thanks again. I'll let you all know how I get on.

Ps. Other than Granada, are there any must sees? Corn Island?

Mentioned in this post
Granada
Granada