We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

living in Nicaragua

Tola, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
living in Nicaragua

I live in Canada and have become interested in Nicaragua. I would like to talk to an Expat living in Nicaragua. The scenery is beautiful - the people look friendly. Is Nicaragua a good place for retirement?

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
6,995 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: living in Nicaragua

look at this site and then call them

http://www.nicaragua-guide.com/

Tola, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: living in Nicaragua

thank you very much I appreciate your email!

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
6,995 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: living in Nicaragua

I believe some Canadians own "Restaurante El Garaje ". Look to the left for restaurants--the address is there

Tola, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: living in Nicaragua

thanks I will look them up for sure!

Granada, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,120 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: living in Nicaragua

Many of the places here in Granada are own by foreigner, Hotel La bocona the manager is a Canadian woman, Tequila vallarta retaurant is own by a Canadian Girl, Imagine bar and restaurant is own by an American dude, Garden cafe by an american men and a Cica girl, and the list keep going and going, and beside owners of places there is a big group of expats that most of them hang out in some local places Like Kellys bar, Osheas Bar own by a brithis.

But a good recomendation will be to come here rent a house and spend some time around in diferent places so you see the diferent beauties of Nicaragua.

Enjoy Nicaragua

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
1,177 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: living in Nicaragua

Contact Rob Keddy from Casa Silas in Granada, he is Canadian and has been in the country for a few years now. casasilas@gamil.com

Managua, Nicaragua
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: living in Nicaragua

You can also try Nicaliving.com I've been living here for the past 10 yrs and have loved it. There are a lot of expat-retirees in Granada and San Juan del Sur. Some also in the northern part of the country (Matagalpa/Esteli), but definitely not as many.

ny,ny
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: living in Nicaragua

Nicaragua is great. I am also Canadian and am living in Nica, and we are certainly over-represented down here in Nicaragua.

The weather is awesome, the outdoors and nature are great, there are very good near term real estate opportunities and Spirit is offering low-cost flight service from Managua up to Toronto. The culture here is warm and wonderful.

But it's a major cultural shift from Canada - do you speak Spanish? I would recommend learning it if you make the move here - it opens up an entire world of culture you would otherwise experience only part of.

Email me if you like I'm happy to talk to you about our experiences - my wife and I have been living here for 9 months now...

T

tbarran@aquanicaragua.com

grand rapids, mi
Level Contributor
11 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: living in Nicaragua

Dear T

In case of ATM been stolen how and where could you wire money for a relative visiting Managua?

Or do you know what local bank may have this type of services?

And if you are visiting there for a week or so what type of reliable, safe public transportation should I use?

Thanks in advance for responding!

YB

grand rapids, mi
Level Contributor
11 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: living in Nicaragua

Dear T

In case of ATM been stolen how and where could you wire money for a relative visiting Managua?

Or do you know what local bank may have this type of services?

And if you are visiting there for a week or so what type of reliable, safe public transportation should I use?

Thanks in advance for responding!

YB

Edited: 17 May 2011, 00:42