We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice please

Kenmare, Ireland
Level Contributor
15 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Advice please

Can anyone reccomend a nice beach destination to chill out in Nicaragua for 10 days in Jan'12..Im staying in Managua for 2 nights on my arrival...but then i would just like to relax on a beach for 10 days and chill out...My only concern is safety as i am travelling on my own otherwise needs are basic....Thanks

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
13,301 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice please

We stayed for a couple days at the Barcelo Montelimar last year and thought the beach was fabulous. It's long and essentially vendor-free, so it's great for long walks. The beach was almost empty when we were there (couldn't figure out why) and the waves were perfect for boogie boards (which they will loan you for free). There are lounges and hammocks under the trees adjacent to the beach and that's where we spent most of our time relaxing.

It is an all-inclusive, so the food could get montonous over 10 days, but I imagine you can get a taxi to the nearby town to try other restaurants. But, as an all-inclusive, it is also rather exclusive, so personal safety should not be a problem. (We felt perfectly safe there.)

The rooms weren't the best, but I understand they have been recently renovated. I'll be back there next week and report on that then.

For my review from December 2010, see:

tripadvisor.com/…CHECK_RATES_CONT

Kenmare, Ireland
Level Contributor
15 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice please

Thank you so much for reply...Denis

Celebration, Florida
Level Contributor
35 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice please

Montelimar is nice for a few days but after that it can get pretty boring especially if its just you or small group. I recommend staying there max a few nights and then heading to San Juan del Sur. San Juan del Sur is safe with lots of nearby beaches to check out and lots of great hotels and restaurants to choose from.

Kenmare, Ireland
Level Contributor
15 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice please

Thank you Michael....I was thinking 2 nights Granada and then the rest in San Juan...Im more a low budget traveler who doesnt mnd spending if i have to...but like to keep it real...was thinking of hiring a cottage or room n san juan...Any suggestion?...dont worry if you are busy...i keep looking...thanks again...Denis

Durham,NC
Level Contributor
46 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice please

Check out Park Avenue Villas in San Juan del Sur. We will be staying with them the end of Jan 12.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
317 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice please

justin: I was in SJDS a few weeks ago. We stayed at a great B&B above town but as we walked through town we noticed that there are a LOT of hostels and rooms for rent. The town was full of surfers and that seemed to be their accommodation of choice. I don't know what the prices are but there is a large selection. Good luck!

Kenmare, Ireland
Level Contributor
15 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice please

Thank you for your help...Denis

Kenmare, Ireland
Level Contributor
15 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice please

Thankyou IslandAnne and Nana....Denis

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
190 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice please

Park Avenue Villas is nice but if you're going for an authentic experience, that's not it. We stayed there on our first trip and it's clean, nice pool, but bland, kind of like a Holiday Inn. The American owners don't speak Spanish which I found a bit annoying and disrespectful.

I would not worry about safety at all, you just can't be stupid. We're headed for our fourth trip and taking our two young sons.

We prefer the Northern beaches, Las Penitas, Jiquilillo...but you will not find a social scene there.

10. Re: Advice please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 25 November 2011, 01:30