We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help: 10 Day trip Nicaragua

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
49 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Help: 10 Day trip Nicaragua

All -

I am in Nicaragua very often for business but I want to take a 10 days for vacation. I spent most of my time in Matagalpa.

I am thinking:

- 4 days in Corn Island

- 2 days in leon and beach

- 1 day in Granada

Please suggest other area for me to visit. We enjoyed activities.

Thanks

13 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help: 10 Day trip Nicaragua

Hello, just curious to ask you which airline do you use that you recommend? I am also from sf and going real soon. Was thinking taca since you get there early morning. Thanks!!!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
49 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help: 10 Day trip Nicaragua

I travel to nicaragua every month. You have 3 options, american, united and delata. United has been the chepeast lately going throught houston and then American via miami but the time between fligth is very very very long and $100 more. If you decide to head to corn island then you need to use a local airlines that cost $165 round trip.

Let me know if you have other questions.

13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help: 10 Day trip Nicaragua

How bout taca? I heard it flies overnight from sfo and arrives in managua at 930 in the morning.

Esteli
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help: 10 Day trip Nicaragua

TACA works fine. I have never flow them from SF (because I have not been to the US in over 10 years) but I have a friend who works in SF and lives here in Nicaragua and she flies TACA all the time.

As for "destinations" to visit, there are many. If I only had 10 days I would probably spend more time in fewer ones. If you want to actually see the Nicaragua where Nicaraguans live, I would suggest local buses and checking out some non-tourist destinations such as Juigalpa (nice zoo there), El Rama, Somoto (visit the canyon), Rio San Juan, ... Even just sitting down in the central park in any town will probably lead to some interesting conversation and getting to know people.

You might also want to take a look at NicaLiving.com. It's a "how to move to and live in Nicaragua" site, not a tourist site. You will find a lot of interesting information (and personalities) there.

Granada, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
31 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help: 10 Day trip Nicaragua

Just returned from trip of about the length you're considering. We spent 7 nights on Little Corn Island, then 3 nights in San Juan del Sur (with a night in Managua on our arrival and a night in Managua between LCI and SJdS). Good contrast, able to see Caribbean and Pacific sides. Next time we return, we hope to visit Leon, Granada, Omotepe, and more of the Pacific coast for new places...and it'll be difficult to impossible to visit Nicaragua without booking a return to Little Corn Island.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
68 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help: 10 Day trip Nicaragua

You can do a lot of things here in Nicaragua in 10 days. It depends on what you like. The Corn Islands are beautiful, but very laid back. If you are more active or want more variety, you may decide to stay there just 2 or 3 full days and spend some of your time elsewhere. If you are looking for more than just beach time, you may want to alot more time to Granada and surrounding area. You could stay a few nights in Granada and go up Mombacho volcano to do a nice hike at the top with beautiful views, or go ziplining. If you like horseback riding we highly recommend Painted Pony Tours (they pick you up in Granada if you don't have a car - the farm is 15 minutes away) for good horses and a scenic 1/2 day ride. You can kayak around the isletas on Lake Nicaragua.

If you like surfing, you could go to San Juan del Sur where there are several choices. Or you could take a 1/2 day or full day sailing cruise from there through Pelican Eyes Resort.

You could also go down to the Rio San Juan on the border of Nica and Costa Rica - beautiful area, great fishing. The Montecristo hotel is recommended.

have a good vacation!

7. Re: Help: 10 Day trip Nicaragua

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 May 2012, 18:50
8. Re: Help: 10 Day trip Nicaragua

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2013, 10:19