We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Managu-Somoto Canyon - Leon

London, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Managu-Somoto Canyon - Leon

Hi guys

My girlfriend and I are both in our twenties and are going to be in Nica next month.

We are arriving in Managua from the Corn Islands on the afternoon flight and then have 3 nights "spare" before we go to spend 6 nights near Playa Majagual where we are renting a house. Although I was a bit nervous of the prospect of hiring a car, it's been recomended to us by previous guests that we hire a 4X4 to check out some of the nearby beaches to really make the most of the stay so we are going to go for it for those 6 nights.

Initially for the 3 nights inbetween, we were just going to get a bus to Leon and spend the 3 nights there before going back to Managua to pick up our car rental.

However as the other parts of our trip are for relaxing on the beach we are keen to see as much as we can in the few nights we have and are both keen on visiting Somoto Canyon. So, my question is, can we incorporate Leon and Somoto Canyon into our plans, would it be worth the travel time and if so, does anyone have any advice on the best way to do it?

The options we have considered so far -

-Extend the Car rental to include this period to give us more freedom. The issue with this is we arrive on flight from the Corn Islands at around 5pm and I do not want my first exeperience driving in Nica to be at night!

This would mean staying overnight in Managua, then driving to Somoto Canyon the next day and staying overnight nearby before driving to Leon the following day to spend one night.

-Get a bus after we land to Esteli (and on to Somoto if possible) spend the following day at the Canyon. Leave for Leon late that afternoon (would this be cutting it too fine?) or early next morning.

-Skip the Canyon altogether and spend 3 nights in Leon.

Any advice would be great!

Thanks!

Level Contributor
1 post
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Managu-Somoto Canyon - Leon

Were going to Leon the beginning of March for three nights and we would also like to go to Somoto Canyon for the day as well.

I found a link for a tour co in Leon that can give you details on a arrangement to the Caynon. The link is :http://leon.quetzaltrekkers.org/treks/1-day-hikes/

It doesn't say if it's an overnight or really any details, other than see their office.

Maybe you could e-mail them and ask.

If you can write back and let me know if you went and how the experience was that would be cool - thanks

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
190 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Managu-Somoto Canyon - Leon

Why not take a bus to Somoto? Roads to Somoto are going to be adventurous, and if you've not driven in Nicaragua before, why not leave it to the locals? We have a soft spot for the local bus system which we have thoroughly enjoyed, and it's cheap, reliable and generally very safe. It's also a great way to experience the local culture.

3. Re: Managu-Somoto Canyon - Leon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 February 2014, 07:15