We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A few questions about arrival into MGA

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
718 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
A few questions about arrival into MGA

OK, I'm getting excited.My first visit to Nica will be in 2 months. I'm looking over my details and have a few simple questions that should be easy to answer by those who have experienced them. Thank you in advance for those who will help.

Questions about arrival at MGA:

1) Upon arrival at MGA, where do you pay the $10 tourist? Assume US Cash is acceptable?

2) Where to purchase cell phone/minutes at MGA?

3) It has been advised to reconfirm La Costena Flights – should I do this on day 1 upon arrival into Nica for a trip to BCI on day 8? (my trip to BCI is the last 4 nights of my 9 night visit)

4) Where do I meet Adelante Express at MGA?

5) Do you pay Adelante Express when you first board transportation or upon arrival at your destination? (do you tip them?)

6) Confirm that there is a $2 airport fee for La Costena – payable at check-in (both flights)?

Thanks again for your guidance. Gela

Green Pathways
Taxis & Shuttles, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours
Iskra Travel
Taxis & Shuttles
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,587 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A few questions about arrival into MGA

I can answer some of your questions

You pay the $10 tourist fee at immigration - US dollars are accepted

I've never had to reconfirm a La Costena flight - just show up at their terminal 90 minutes before your flight

Adelante express should be waiting for you as you depart immigration/customs - there should be someone with a sign with your name on it.

When I used Adelante Express the driver asked for the money up front so he could buy gasoline. It's not customary to tip taxi drivers in Nicaragua.

Yes, there is a $2 airport fee for La Costena - after you get your boarding pass there will be a booth to pay before you go though the metal detector

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
718 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A few questions about arrival into MGA

Sean, thank you very much for this information!

4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: A few questions about arrival into MGA

You can get cell phones in the mga airport if you go in the departures side. They are only open during the day. Otherwise most malls in mga will have a store. If you're going to the east coast I'd buy a Claro phone. You can buy minutes online through easytop or from most small stores around the country.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
718 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A few questions about arrival into MGA

It would appear that I can pick up a cell phone in just about any city, so I'll probably do that when I arrive in SJDS. Thanks for your replies.

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
7,732 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A few questions about arrival into MGA

I don;t know about Claro--but we bought a Moviestar--we received 31 promotional calls in 30 days. The phone would not work until these calls were dealt with. Addditionally as we didn't speak Spanish we could not understand the multitude of written dialoques the phone wanted to have with us.

We considered the phone useless for our purposes--mostly our fault!!

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
718 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A few questions about arrival into MGA

Felschurch, thank you for your input. All I was trying to do is have a phone that we could use to confirm reservations, call a cab driver to pick us up, etc. Maybe it's not worth the hassle for a 12 day trip?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,587 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A few questions about arrival into MGA

I never felt the need for a phone in many trips to Central America. Never had to make reservations for a restaurant and businesses and hotels can call a taxi when needed

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
7,732 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A few questions about arrival into MGA

I agree with Sean ; wherever you stay will help make any calls you need to make. Never made any restaurant reservations! Didn't call taxis--stepped outside and walked until one honked it was available.

But it may be worth its weight in gold if you have a situation in the US that requires calls to and from.

Great Falls...
Level Contributor
95 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A few questions about arrival into MGA

Alternatively regarding your phone...if you have an unlocked GSM phone, all you need to do is put in a SIM card you can buy from Enitel, Movistar or Claro (Claro is more common on the eastern side Atlantic/Caribbean) the rest are fine country-wide.

Most phones in the US are CDMA bandwith, but if you use AT&T or T-Mobile or a 'global' Verizon phone you may be using a GSM phone. You can buy a cheapo unlocked GSM online. They are handy to have especially if you travel a lot out of the US.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
425 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A few questions about arrival into MGA

I used Movistar SIM in December, I received maybe 4 promotional text messages per week, but this did not hinder my use of the phone. Fantastic value even if you use for calls home. On Christmas Day, I made three different calls from Granada to Toronto totalling just under and hour, and had used the phone for local calls for two weeks. My investment was only about $15CAD. It was nice to have a phone just in case without worrying about roaming charges.