We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bluefields to Corn Island; Boats

Regina, Canada
2 posts
Save Topic
Bluefields to Corn Island; Boats

Hi, Im flying into MGA the 17th. I arrive late, so then taking the 6:30 La Costena to Bluefields. I am doing 1 week on the corns and 1 week bluefields/pearl lagoon but I would like to do the Corns first plus it works best that way for the boat schedules. The two big ones Captain D and Escondido leave the wednesday. But my question is; I'll arrive to bluefields airport around 7am they say, then i'll have to take a taxi to the wharf SO does that leave me enough time to catch either one of those boats? They say the boats leave anywhere from 9am-noon and if I miss it then I can't get out til the friday I think? So I don't want to miss it! At the end of April are the boats fairly packed or easy to get on? Is there a way to reserve a seat before my arrival in Bluefields. Any info is appreciated, Thanks :)

Great Falls...
Level Contributor
95 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bluefields to Corn Island; Boats

honestly, it is hit or miss, you're best bet would be to get to Bluefields the day before and see about getting your berth for onwards travel. Why not just take the onwards flight from La Costena to Big Corn? You can always fly from Big Corn back to Bluefields.

The flight from Managua to Bluefields 'should' be okay but you can never account for weather, technical difficulties and the like. If you can't get to Bluefields the day before I'd highly recommend you just stay on the flight and continue onwards to Big Corn. Would save a lot of heartache and wondering.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bluefields to Corn Island; Boats

Keep in mind that it's over 60 miles of open sea between Bluefields and Corn Island and takes between 5-8 hours of travel over rough open sea. Make sure to pack your dramamine!

Edited: 29 March 2012, 02:56
Regina, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bluefields to Corn Island; Boats

Yeah we're just getting roundtrip to bluefields for flight price reasons and because I do want to spend the rest of my time after corn islands in bluefields/pearl lagoon area, and the boat sounds really cool I think anyways! Thanks for the advice, I've heard quite a few people do get sea sick! Ah well, I'll take the risk and I just changed my plans a bit and will leave a day earlier. Which is a very simple fix and hell I get to start the adventure sooner this way :)

4. Re: Bluefields to Corn Island; Boats

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 April 2013, 10:27