We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Deciding between Panama City and Nicaragua with older teens

Level Contributor
36 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Deciding between Panama City and Nicaragua with older teens

Wanting to travel in late June and trying to decide between Panama and Nicaragua. Family with teens ages 15 to 22. 4 kids. Like adventure and water and hiking and wanting a good value. Went to Costa Rica 5 years ago and had the best time ever with help from postings here. Please advise. Have 6 to 8 days and would want to only stay in 2 locations and do day trips. Advice please! Flights to these 2 locations are the only affordable ones I can find from LAX.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
1,906 posts
513 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Deciding between Panama City and Nicaragua with older teens

If language is an issue, Panama has more English spoken.

In Panama, I never went past Valle de Anton, but I've heard the Boquete region has great recreational opportunities. It's a 6-hour drive from Panama City, one-hour flight.

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,258 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Deciding between Panama City and Nicaragua with older teens

the thing with panama is that because is a narrow and long country you have to drive long distances or flight to go to places as David, Boquete or Bocas del toro, but in Panama city you can easily spend 2or3 days doing activities but the problem is that crime rate is getting a bit higher than Nicaragua or Costa rica

Nicaragua is a nice country also with many things quite close if staying in Granada you can do many day trips to diferent places

San Juan del Sur...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Deciding between Panama City and Nicaragua with older teens

Nicaragua is a great place to visit, San Juan Del Sur has many activities for the young and older. Great resturants, night life, surfing, fishing, horseback riding, sailing, zip line and more. I would be more than willing to provide additional info if you find a interest in this. Of course there is the old city of Granada which is a nice day trip and Ometepe Island where you can climb a volanco and tour the island. If you would like more info and specifics send me a message on time of year you are coming and I will give you as much details and links that I have. Let me know if you have specific interests please as well.

Hanakowski@gmail.com

Terry

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
1,906 posts
513 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Deciding between Panama City and Nicaragua with older teens

As byronortega stated, Panama is long.

Granada is only about 45 minutes from the airport in Managua and from there you have:

Masaya Volcano and Lake and Market

Ometepe

San Juan del Sur

White Towns

Isleta in Lake Nicaragua

Mombacho Volcano

I'm sure I'm leaving lots out.

The nature is incredible and close by. Leon is also near some interesting things that I'm sure others on TA can enlighten you about.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
1,906 posts
513 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Deciding between Panama City and Nicaragua with older teens

Actually, I didn't mean Masaya Lake (didn't go there), but Apoyo Lake, where there is great swimming and beautiful nature.

Level Contributor
36 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Deciding between Panama City and Nicaragua with older teens

Thanks for clarifying! We are going to NICARAGUA! Thinking about Granada and then near the beach at San Juan...............any more advice??? Rent a car? and tours or must contact people? Best resort/condo for a family that has great breakfasts?

THANKS everyone!!

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
1,906 posts
513 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Deciding between Panama City and Nicaragua with older teens

Thinking about Granada and then near the beach at San Juan...............any more advice???

We stayed at Patio de Malinche, went to beach at Remanzo, see my review. of hotel. The reviews are great, owners super nice, great breakfasts. I heard Las Isletas and white towns are great, but didn't have time. There's lots nearby to Granada.

Rent a car?

We rented a van at MGA from Hertz. Check around, there's not a lot of price competition. Look on Kayak.com. Don't leave car on street at night in Granada and watch your belongings.

and tours or must contact people?

There's some tour guides here on TA, we didn't contact any. My wife is originally from Nica and knew where to go. Get a good guide like Lonely Planet or Moon Handbooks. If you need to stay in Managua, go to Le Pyramide Hotel. See the reviews.

Best resort/condo for a family that has great breakfasts?

There are some condos in Granada, but I didn't go.

8. Re: Deciding between Panama City and Nicaragua with older teens

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 02:16