We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help for 2 week xmas/New Years trip please!

Langley City, Canada
Level Contributor
774 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary help for 2 week xmas/New Years trip please!

My boyfriend and I (29/31) are planning a trip to Nicaragua to spend our first xmas away from family and also over New Years. We've been to Costa Rica (mainly north Pacific coast) and loved it there so a few friends have said we'd also have a great time in Nicaragua.

We don't plan to rent a car and would like to spend as little time travelling around as possible, so are looking for some hidden gem types of spots that aren't too far out of the way which we could work in between our main beach stays.

I really want to go to the Corn Islands for 5 days or so, so was going to fly there on the 6am flight after we arrive the evening before (just stay near the airport). I also want to go to San Juan del Sur for 4 or 5 days since we love both the Caribbean beach scene and also the surf vibe (we don't actually surf much since we're terrible at it, but Playa Grande was probably our favourite part of Costa Rica).

We are not interested in touring around cities or long hikes at all (would be cool to see volcano scenery, definitely don't need to hike them though), but if there are some easy stops we could make for a night or two that would let us experience some more jungle/rainforest/beautiful lakes, I'd really love some tips.

If someone can help fill in the blanks (mainly days 7-8 and 14) or have any recommendations for nice, cheap (hopefully right by the beach), fun spots to stay too that would be great!

Day 1: Arrive 8:30pm Managua - stay overnight near airport (any recommendations?)

Day 2-6: Catch 6:15am flight to BCI (how early do we need to arrive at the airport? I've heard things about them giving away seats if you don't check in by a certain time?). 4 nights LCI and 1 night at BCI (can play around with this later, still not sure which is best for us, but want to spend the last night at BCI for sure to be closer to the airport).

Day 7-8: Catch morning flight back to Managua - what would be a good spot to spend a couple of days before San Juan del Sur? I don't think we "need" to go to Ometepe unless it is exceptional compared to other destinations or would be easy to get to on the way. Would something like Laguna de Apoyo, or something else be easier to get to, or is there another spot where we can check out some rainforest type spots, nice views, etc before San Juan del Sur?

Day 9-13: San Juan del Sur

Day 14: Head to Granada, have this day and night left. Are there some nice, easy tours to do from Granada that would be good for us to check out (nothing major at all).

Day 15: Back to Managua and fly home.

Toronto, Canada
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary help for 2 week xmas/New Years trip please!

Hi,

My wife and I are planning on doing the same trip this Christmas.

Have you received any feedback yet?

Thanks

Dave

Granada, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,145 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary help for 2 week xmas/New Years trip please!

there is not rainforrest on the pacific side of Nicaragua only two cloud forrest one Volcan maderas on Ometepe island and the other mombacho volcano on Granada.

Apoyo crater lake is a really nice spot to spend time there but i really beleibe that ometepe has it´s own chram is a unique place where you can only relax next to a huge lake or see precolumbian statues and rock carving or nice walks on the area as finca magdalena or charco verde nice forrest or swiming on a beautifull water spring,

And from Granada half day trip to apoyo or masaya active volcano or the white towns as Catarina or San juan de oriente Diria or diriomo.

Just some ideas.

BTW is always better be at least 2 hours to get la Costeña flight

Enjoy Nicaragua

3. Re: Itinerary help for 2 week xmas/New Years trip please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2013, 10:17