We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Masaya volcano is still close.

Granada, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,144 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Masaya volcano is still close.

As the Subject says, masaya volcano is still close, the volcano has been close for about a month already and there is still no date that will be open, unfortunatly you can´t no go to the volcano due to the volcanic activity but hopefully soon will be open

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
715 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Masaya volcano is still close.

Thanks Byron. One of my options for a day trip from Granada was to go the volcano. I opted for a day trip to Laguna de Apoyo. It would not have been possible anyway. Hopefully the activity will subside so that visitors will be able to return.

california
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Masaya volcano is still close.

Thanks Byron!

Does anyone know if there is any threat or danger that has been talked about in the news over there? (toxic gases, earthquake or lava flow?) excuse my ignorance but wasn't able to really find anything when I googled it.

Thanks! we'll be there in 25 Days!

Managua, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
911 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Masaya volcano is still close.

As I write this, I can see from my house that the volcano is still putting out a lot of extra smoke, more than usual that is. We are eight miles away and up on a hillside so thankfully no worries as far as lava or gases goes. IT does make for a lovely sight...from a distance that is :-)

Several weeks ago, the locals near to the volcano reported an unusual whistling sound, then vulcanologists looked at it and determined a new vent was opening. Then the vent must have got congested somehow and it spit out some hot lava rocks that rolled down the flanks of the volcano and started a brush fire which was quickly put out.

Haven't heard anything since, but thanks to Byron we know the park is still closed. This is too bad, as this is the closes active volcano to the capital and is always interesting to visit.

For the visitor there is nothing to worry about. Not sure if I would be so comfortable at any lodgings nearer to Masaya though...

Granada, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,144 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Masaya volcano is still close.

AS el porton verde mention before the explosion i was there and it sounds like a plane turbine a a few days later it blow but is not the only time that happened it happened again in 2001 and then in 2008 both times it was close for a less than a week, but this time as been a bit more, the amount of gases is way much more if there was 4 tons every day now a day is like 13 tons and from time of time stones coming out of the volcano so it´s a bit dangerous and it will be open untill new advice, we do not for sure when but if you google it you wont find anything in english everything is in español Sorry if something come out in english i will post it.

california
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Masaya volcano is still close.

Thanks to both!

Byronortega, I speak spanish, so if you find any recent article in spanish, please let me know, i've gone to google.ni to find recent articles in spanish, but they are all about a month old..

How does this affect Granada, in case of a lava flow? what are the precautions to take when in granada?

Thanks!!

Yesi

Granada, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,144 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Masaya volcano is still close.

Granada is far away from Masaya volcano so there won´t be any problems with Granada so do not worry about it.

And there is no update from newspapper right now i have been calling straight to the volcano rangers for updates and the activity is slowing down a bit but they still don´t have a date when is going to be open.

check www.neter.gob.ni

california
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Masaya volcano is still close.

Thanks Byron!!

I appreciate the link as well!

we'll be there in 3 weeks!! cant wait...

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
1,203 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Masaya volcano is still close.

No worries, hopefully the volcano opens soon, i kind of miss going out there.

Boston...
Level Contributor
43 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Masaya volcano is still close.

Sounds kind cool though! But bummer if you can't go see it!!

Do you think this will affect the Hacienda Puerta del Cielo??? I think they overlook the Masaya volcano from their property.

Granada, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,144 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Masaya volcano is still close.

they are in a position that the gasses can´t affect them but a good show to see the smoke from there