We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food in Nicaragua ...

california
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Food in Nicaragua ...

Hello TA!

Researching typical Nicaraguan food, as I am a total foodie, I came across this website and thought I'd share for those looking for yummy typical dishes.

vianica.com/go/…2-nicaraguan_food.html

Hope you can use it,

We'll be there in 3 weeks!!! Yey!!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
460 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Food in Nicaragua ...

Yummy. Thanks for the heads-up.

Be sure to give us a report on the best places to actually find this stuff prepared when you get back. :o)

WQst

http://youtu.be/zKKl5Rn_EV8

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
7,000 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food in Nicaragua ...

Sopa de mondongo -- Masatepe has a restaurant that is famous for it --loved it

All these in Granada

Quesillos --el volcan restaurant--a couple of blocks off Atravezada towards la Merced--good people good food,,not much to them ...snack

Vigoron --had this at ball park, central park is the spot --pork rind can be greasey and chewy

nacatamales -weekends only---really personal favorites--we got ours from a house way up Atravezada..ask someone for their favorite spot

Tres leches--MUST HAVE from Maria elena bakery near the end of la Barrancada away from la merced...famous bakery--great stuff- paninis..nice staff

Gallo pintos--everywhere

There is a "typical" restaurant on La Calzada and also small hole in the wall restaurants on Atravezada before the market Querubes being one

Try the street food--there is a guy near the DVD sellers on Atravezada--speaks english! --sells hot food-cooked right in front of you. Good snack pasteries on the street, great cut up fruits

The best is the fritanga selling grilled chicken out La libertad next to La ciudad restaurant on friday and sat nights..very very busy

Hope this helps

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
7,000 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food in Nicaragua ...

If you like food, take a slow stroll thru the market in Granada. A table may feature 5 grades of rice, or eggs by the carton but 36 in the carton!,or prepared salsa like foods, or small pineapples, or lots of variety of beans. Go back to the fish area and see the fresh quapote etc. The cuts of beef I simply do not understand-nothing recognizable!

If you go more than once, you will go deeper and deeper into the market.

BTW --your article did not mention quapote--the fish of Lake Nicaragua--you must try this fried. I have eaten this at Restaurants Las Colinas(dirt floor,huge place,not a tourist place and expensive by Nica standards but filled with families on Sundays), Asese (the best) and Villas Mombachos (best setting)--the latter two out at the Marina. Have a cold Tona or Victoria beer with your fish

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
7,000 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food in Nicaragua ...

Eggs are tasty in Nic

We like Naranja brand orange juice

Eskimo ice cream is delicious--there is an ice cream parlor on Xalteva before the la merced church

La Union super market has a good bakery and the rotisserie chickens are good there and at Pali...very popular

I am sure you know that La Flora Cana rum is terrific. We drink the 7 yr old stuff

I cannot pronounce " La Union" so that taxi drivers can understand it --so I have to ask for La Colonia super market and walk across the street.!!!!!!!

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
7,000 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Food in Nicaragua ...

And.. there is a great cheese truck between the park and the market one street over from Atravezada.

and please realize we speak virtually no spanish and all the sellers speak no english but business gets done with a smile. Only on one occasion was i probably overcharged that i know of --husband overcharged ..next time wife snatched the bill out of his hand and gave me change

california
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Food in Nicaragua ...

Wow! thank you to all!

I am so excited, we have 3 weeks to go!

I am currently on a diet... so I can gain it all back once there! (guilt free!) ha ha

looking forward to the Vigoron, quesillo, bakery items, and the market!

I love street food, so I will be in heaven!

Thanks!

Granada, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,123 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Food in Nicaragua ...

All of those local food on the vianica web side are just the best Nica plates you are going to find, the taste is good the prices are low and the cuality is high hopefully you enjoy of all this tipical dishes here

8. Re: Food in Nicaragua ...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 23:40