We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best day trip from Managua for a high school students?

Evart, Michigan
8 posts
Save Topic
Best day trip from Managua for a high school students?

My husband and I are bringing a group of high school students to Managua in July to work with kids at orphanages in the area. We will have a 1/2 day free (the organization we are going with has planned an afternoon swimming at Laguna de Apoya), along with another whole day free for our choice of activities. We will have a mini-bus and driver available, and would like to travel no further than 1 11/2 - 2 hours at the most from Managua. We've done a lot of looking on the internet, but we'd love input on our ideas (or suggestions for different ones).

We would like to do the night tour at the Masaya Volcano (we think seeing an active volcano, the bat caves, etc., would be a unique experience for our students from rural Michigan). Has anyone done this? We're having a hard time deciding what to do earlier in the day. Here are some of our ideas:

-start at Mombacho volcano, then stop at San Juan de Oriente pottery shops/lunch and then end at Masaya volcano.

-start at Chocoyero, Domitilla or Montibelli reserve and then end at Masaya volcano.

-kayak at the Isletas near Granada, then the Masaya volcano.

Our group would love to see some howler monkeys or other wildlife, but I also know that being from Michigan, they aren't going to be used to the heat, so long hikes in the jungle won't go over well. Any recommendations? Any thoughts on what is do-able as far as driving/time? Thanks for any help you can give us!

Jenny

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best day trip from Managua for a high school students?

I am a tour guide in Nicaragua and i have worked along with students from different parts of the States, i will recommend for you to go to the Mombacho Volcano for a Canopy tour (Zip Line) and then to San Juan de Oriente, Lunch in Catarina and then off to the Masaya Volcano for the night tour.

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,332 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best day trip from Managua for a high school students?

so far masaya volcano is still close due to lot of smoke nad ashes that is more than normal hopefully this will decrease soon i let you know on another post that is call masaya volcno is still close.

how many students? because in places as chocoyero or montibelli will need a small 4x4 to get from the main rod to this places btw domitila is 4 hours away from managua on a bumpy road on the other side of mombacho.

Now a way how to do this will be a sight seen in Granada boat ride because there are not enough kayaks for everyone. then catarina view point nice view point lunch here san juan de oriente pottery town masaya market and then night tour in masaya.

or

mombacho walking tour lunch in catarina view point, saan jun de oriente pottery town, masaya market and then masaya night tour.

if need some help will be my pleasure to help you.

Byron

Evart, Michigan
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best day trip from Managua for a high school students?

Do you know how much the zip line costs if we are transporting ourselves there? I can't find information about the zip line company itself on the web. Thanks for the suggestions.

Evart, Michigan
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best day trip from Managua for a high school students?

Byronortega, I'm so glad you told me that Domitilla is a 4 hour drive! And, I will definitely check on whether our vehicle is capable of navigating the really rough roads. There are about 20 of us-- if we walk around Mombacho volcano, do you know if the trucks they use for transport are big enough for our whole group? Would a mini-bus (seats 30) be able to make it up the road?

Also, does anyone have a restaurant to recommend in Catarina? And, are the prices or selection better at San Juan de Oriente or at the Masaya market?

Thanks so much for the help!

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best day trip from Managua for a high school students?

Zip line cost should be about US$30.00 PER PERSON. Yes, the truck at the Mombacho Volcano is able to get the whole group up there. In Catarina go to Mi Viejo Ranchito, is right across the street from the town of Catarina but is one of the best Nicaragua food expressions, from the decoration of the place to the food very Nicaraguan. For pottery it will be better in San Juan de Oriente better than the arts and crafts market.

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
7,608 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best day trip from Managua for a high school students?

Skip Chocoyero--to difficult to get to for a large group.

Rodolfo took us to Mi viejo Ranchito and we returned to it on our own. This would be a perfect place for your lunch. The manager speaks english and often serves tour groups. She can arrange a special menu and perhaps a dance/music troup.. Be careful in your contacts--there are two locations!. The Caterina location is on facebook .

Unlike Rodolfo --I think the best pottery prices are neither the market nor de Oriente--I think they are cheapest at Caterina at the bottom of the hill on the way in. The airport prices match all prices!!!!

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
7,608 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best day trip from Managua for a high school students?

I also think you could let the kids loose at Caterina and they could choose from several restaurants!!!

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,332 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best day trip from Managua for a high school students?

The truck that mombacho volcano use is a 50 seats 4x4 so wont be a problem and the thing about the catarina viewpoint is that has about 5 diferent restaurants all close togheters you can use 2 or 3 restaurants and hve a nice view while eating

Evart, Michigan
8 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Best day trip from Managua for a high school students?

Thank you all so much for your help! Can you tell me how long it takes to get from Managua to the Mombacho Volcano? Thanks!

Evart, Michigan
8 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Best day trip from Managua for a high school students?

And one more question . . . does the $10-12 American money paid to ride the truck up the volcano include the ride down too, or is that extra? Are there certain times the truck goes back down?