We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What Town to pick?

Ambler, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
87 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
What Town to pick?

I am an experienced traveler and I'm having a hard time picking where to stay in Nicaragua. I will be traveling with a group of 6-8 people from 28-34.

We would like to rent a house or condo on or very close to the beach. I would like to be within walking or a short ride to a local town that has at least 1-2 restaurants and a place to purchase grocery's.

None of us are big surfers so I'm not to concerned about the waves.

Grecia, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
916 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What Town to pick?

I will recommend San Juan del Sur...decent beach, bars can be found of all types, some decent restaurants, and a laid back vibe for all to enjoy. As to a rental, I found Flip Key flipkey.com/san-juan-del-sur-vacation-rental… a great place to start to look. VRBO is another vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/…a1616 as both have multiple rentals available. The only problem with the place is that it is a distance from Rivas (about $20US taxi ride) in case you wanted a change of scenery, and every other place is several hours away, so SJdS will be your home..tranquilo!

Have a great time planning your vacation.

Managua, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
913 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What Town to pick?

Greetings zvelivis:

CajonTraveler is right that SJdS fits the bill for you and your group. But just in case you want a quieter, more mellow experience than the party-town atmosphere at SJdS, you might consider Playa Gigante near Tola, Rivas. I recently discovered it for myself the first time and really enjoyed the tranquil atmosphere. It is really small, but there are a couple of restaurants, some nightlife, and the beach is very nice. Not much in the way of grocery stores but you would pass through the town of Rivas to get there, where you would find what you're looking for. More Tripadvisor info on Gigante here: tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g1631136-Playa_Gigan…

cheers,

Mike @ El Portón Verde

Grecia, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
916 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What Town to pick?

Thanks Mike, I had no idea this beautiful spot existed. It's on my map for the next trip. Very helpful.

California City...
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What Town to pick?

We Just had an amazing time in Nicaragua we were having the same idea that you are having right now but after reading many post here we decided to email many tour companies and guides and at the end we end up in Many places in Nicaragua we really enjoyed the people and see different places but we still spend many days at the beach and we end up at SJDS nice little town with many options for dinner and many shuttle services to go around,

Lansing, Michigan
Level Contributor
9 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What Town to pick?

Maybe you would like the beach at Santa Cruz on Ometepe Island - we loved it at the guest house which could accomodate a group of 6 or possibly more.

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,386 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What Town to pick?

From all of the beach town that we have on Nicaragua SJDS is unfortunatley the only one that fits that and i mean unfortunatly because there are so many beautiful beaches around the pacific but no grocery or limited and same thing with Restaurants.

7. Re: What Town to pick?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2013, 06:15