We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timer to Nica

Delray Beach, FL
Level Contributor
78 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
First timer to Nica

I know this is last minute, but I'm hoping to pinpoint a location for mine and my husband's anniversary trip. We would be in Nica in 2 weeks for 4-5 days and can't decide where to spend our time. We have been to Costa Rica and Guatemala and have loved both places. We are choosing Nica b/c we have been told that it is similar to both (esp Costa) but less commercially touched and less touristy which appeals to us. The first locations that come to mind is Granada and SJDS, but we are very open to suggestions. I am also thinking Leon from previous posts here. We would like to stay w/in 1-2 hours from Managua and are looking for more nature and culture. Suggestions? In your suggestions, would you mind including travel times and transportation costs? Thank you so much!

Managua, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
911 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First timer to Nica

Greetings ReelTraveler:

For a trip of only a few days obviously your choices are limited. You may also not want to do too much traveling around since being on the road for a long time may not be much of a vacation. So staying not too far from Managua would help with that.

You might look at the recent NY Times Travel article, "36 Hours in Nicaragua" for some ideas.

…nytimes.com/2012/09/16/travel/36-hours-in-m…

I recently took a couple on a half-day tour of Managua and they had a blast. We are on a farm south of Managua up in some elevation on the road to Masaya. This area has lots of cultural and natural activities attractions nearby that most visitors don't know about, like nature hikes with waterfalls, night tours of volcanoes, evening boat tours with the city lights of Managua, etc.

Enjoy your trip and have a wonderful anniversary.

Mike @ Farmstay El Portón Verde

Granada, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,156 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First timer to Nica

Hola ReelTraveller

Your time is very limited to see how beautiful Nicaragua is.

The most known places as you probably have read is Granada and SJDS, are nice places and the by time that you are planing to come is quite good because many places are still open "low season" but few tourist so you will have time to enjoy this places Granada is a very nice spots because you are located 1 hour away from Managua and there are many places to visit around as Masaya day trip which you can visit masaya active volcano, Masaya city and art craft market, catarina viewpoint and plant nursery and San Juan de Oriente pottery town.

Granada itself has some nice things to show tourist, as the city it self nice colonial buildings from the 1700's , the little islands of Granada beautiful spot for a boat ride and also some bass fishing, Mombacho volcano cloud Forrest, La calera natural reserve, close also to granada on the way to managua we have a couple of nice spots for bird watching as el chocoyero and Montibelli.

Also in SJDS you can find many nice activities as horse back riding, snorkelling, surf for beginners, nice sunsets etc.

But if you need more help and would like to do some activities around get in touch with this fellows www.golocalnicaragua.wix.com/nicaragua

Enjoy your first time in Nicaragua.

Delray Beach, FL
Level Contributor
78 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First timer to Nica

Thank you both! I do realize our time is limited, but I'm sure we will make repeat trips if we enjoy it which I think we will. It is a short flight for us so we could easily return often after we get the lay of the land on our initial visit.

How far is SJDS from Granada? What could I expect to pay for transport (privated and/or shared) from MGA to Granada and SJDS and Granada to SJDS? If we were to hire a private driver for the day, I heard we could find one for about $50 from friends of mine who have stayed there. Is this true and who/what company do you suggest? We have a limited budget.

Granada,Nicaragua
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First timer to Nica

Hello ReelTraveler

San Juan Sur from Granada is around 01 1/2 hr away, there are many differents ways to Get from Managua to Granada:

you take a shuttle many companies they do provide that services

also you can take a taxi which is about between U$ 35 to U$ 45(depends of the time your arrive in Managua), from Granada to San Juan is also pretty easy

to take a Shuttle or Public bus, if you prefer a private transport is a bit pricey

but easy to get it.

Best Regards

Anthony Largaespada

Tierra Tour

Tour Operator

Granada, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,156 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First timer to Nica

Hola again

SJDS is about 1.5 hours away from Granada and a private car there can be around US$50 or US$60. which is pretty much the same amount of money that 2 people will pay for a shuttle service.

Now from Managua to granada is about 1 hour away and you can pay to a private car about US$40 again almost the same price that for 2 people on a shuttle service.

About hiring a car and a driver that depend how long you are thinking on going and about recommend someone i recommend this local fellows

www.golocalnicaragua.wix.com/nicaragua

Enjoy Nicaragua.

El Transito...
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First timer to Nica

There are a ton of options and many different areas to check out near Managua, and it depends on what exactly you're looking for that will determine your best bet. Are you looking for a more educational experience, adventure, or just simply relaxing? Maybe even surf?

San Juan Del Sur is probably the most populated beach town as surfers began coming north checking for new breaks in Nica - it is a great place to visit for sure. Then you got Granada, Masaya and Leon as other main places to check out. Leon is fantastic with amazing architecture and a colonial history one may find educational. You can hike volcano's, zip line, horseback ride and check out the local markets. There's also a little fishing town El Transito which is cool too (but yes, we're biased because that's where our camp/lodge is located - http://solidsurftours.com/).

There are a ton of places to go and the communities are fantastic. Just make sure you have driving arrangements set up because that's when things get tricky and less-safe. A great resource is vianica.com. I think there's even a new tourism map up there now.

Enjoy your trip!

Edited: 13 October 2012, 23:04
El Transito...
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: First timer to Nica

There are a ton of options and many different areas to check out near Managua, and it depends on what exactly you're looking for that will determine your best bet. Are you looking for a more educational experience, adventure, or just simply relaxing? Maybe even surf?

San Juan Del Sur is probably the most populated beach town as surfers began coming north checking for new breaks in Nica - it is a great place to visit for sure. Then you got Granada, Masaya and Leon as other main places to check out. Leon is fantastic with amazing architecture and a colonial history one may find educational. You can hike volcano's, zip line, horseback ride and check out the local markets. There's also a little fishing town El Transito which is cool too (but yes, we're biased because that's where our camp/lodge is located - www.solidsurftours.com).

There are a ton of places to go and the communities are fantastic. Just make sure you have driving arrangements set up because that's when things get tricky and less-safe. A great resource is vianica.com. I think there's even a new tourism map up there now.

Enjoy your trip!

Edited: 13 October 2012, 23:05
8. Re: First timer to Nica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 01:18