We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tica bus scam

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Tica bus scam

Be cautious when using Ticabus in Central America, the staff seem to have a nice wee money earner operating. For border crossings they collect all passengers’ passports before you arrive to exit one country & enter the next, they also collect the entry/exit fees, however they add some on for themselves. For example entering Nicaragua the conductor collected $15 US off all tourists yet when we looked at our entry cards they state the fee is only $10. Beware!

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
1,247 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tica bus scam

This is not a scam, it is actually right, the US$10.00 entrance fee is your tourism card, another thing that is paid at the border is immigration fees and a tax at the city hall of Cardenas. The opnly thing is that they do not give you a receipt for the other tings because thy make one receipt for the bus not per person.

2. Re: Tica bus scam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2012, 15:45
Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,525 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tica bus scam

As a matter of fact what Samsonluck is saying is a bit true becasue i have been on this busses many times not only tica bus and doesn´t matter if is entry which is US$13 entry by land and US$3 leaving by land (by air is US$10 dollars toursit card entry US$35exit if your airline doesn´t includ it on the ticket). But the scam is that doesn´t matter if you are entering or leaving the border by this busses (mostly Costa Rican side) they always try to charge you US$13 or US$15.

Byron

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tica bus scam

Ah, thanks for clarifying!

5. Re: Tica bus scam

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 November 2013, 19:36
Hopkins, Belize
Level Contributor
1,536 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tica bus scam

in my experience, ticabus has always charged an extra dollar over the fee/tax, etc. I asked about it once and was told it was a convenience fee for doing the work themselves.

they clearly state the charges up front though, and you can ask ahead of time and they will tell you, so while i am never a fan of paying anyone for a "convenience", i would hardly call it a scam. Its like saying Pizza Hut is pulling a scam because they add a $1 delivery charge. its just a fee.

In my opinion, taking local buses and going through the border yourself is by far better and cheaper in the long run. Most likely if you are choosing the Ticabus route, that single dollar isnt going to make or break you.

7. Re: Tica bus scam

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 16 November 2014, 06:20