We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ometepe to Leon

Bethesda, Maryland
Level Contributor
93 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Ometepe to Leon

We are planning a trip to Nicaragua over Christmas and have planned to spend 3 nights in Ometepe and then 4 nights in Leon. How long will it take to get to Leon from Ometepe? should we stay somewhere in between?

Granada, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,192 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ometepe to Leon

BTW you are not visiting Granada?

Byron

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
143 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ometepe to Leon

I had the same thought BEFORE I read Byron's reply. Four days in Leon is a little too long plus you are looking at about 5 hours + of travel in one day. I would stay 1 or 2 nights in Granada.

Cincinnati, Ohio
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ometepe to Leon

Based on your other post, I'm assuming you're renting a car. If you're driving, it should be about 1.5-2 hours from San Jorge to Managua then about another 1.5 hours from Managua to Leon. Just make sure when you're going from Managua to Leon that you take the Carreterra Nueva a Leon (new road to Leon), the one that runs right next to Lake Managua.

While you'll certainly miss something by skipping Granada, if you try to do both Granada and Leon, you'll probably find you don't have enough time in either place. There's lots to see and do in Leon, and the beaches in Las Penitas and Poneloya are only 20 minutes away as well as easy access to volcano hiking. Leon is considerably less touristed than Granada and feels a bit more authentic.

4. Re: Ometepe to Leon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 December 2013, 05:15